Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:29 PM   #1

I used the color replacement tool in PS CS to eliminate some blue snow. Nothing fancy, used the eye-dropper tool and selected the blue, replaced it with pure white in RGB.

Did I get this right? It looks pretty good to me but I am an amatuer and fairly new to photo edits.

RG in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:10 AM   #2

RG in Idaho wrote:
Quote:
... Did I get this right? ...
If it works, you got it right. There seems to be at least 5 different ways to get to the same end result with PS (or any other well featured photo editor).

The important question is: "Will it work on the next photo with the same problem?" In this case, I'd guess you havesomewhatless than a 50% chance of it working.

The favoritetechniqueworks about 80% of the time and uses levels. It is based on my observation that mosthistogram forsnow scenes have a cliff on the right edge. However, if you look at the separate RGB histograms, the cliff is not at the same place - generally the B channel is much closer to the right edge. I simply use the levels adjustment on the separate RGB channels to move the cliff edge in each channel to the same place and all very near the right edge.

My generalfall back technique is to cut the saturation - perhaps all the way to B&W.

Your technique is quick and easy, so can be worth trying. Easy enough to undo if you don't like the result.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:50 AM   #3

Looks awesome, I use color cast to change the blue to white.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the ideas. I will try your recomendations. We have a few feet of snow here so I have plenty of time and subject matter to experiment with.
RG in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote