Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:11 AM   #1

I am not sure what i need to do to this photo in order to brighten it up and get good color and detail. every time i try and adjust it in photoshop i dont like the results. if someone could give it a shot and let me know what you come up with.Thanks.
Attached Images

joshwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:00 AM   #2

This was the best I could do without selecting things. Defogging with a high radius and low amount in USM, a small amount of shadow/highlight and bringing the contrast up in curves. It looks a little better to me but I don't know what you are looking for.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3

Levels adjustment, Input levels...18....1.10....207

Brightness/Contrast adjustment, Contrast....+14

Run through Noise Ninja at reduced default setting. If you don't have NN, others will be just as good, or even Noise reduction in PS if you have CS or CS2.

Shadow/Highlight adjustment. Shadows, move the slider to the left to 17%. The Highlight slider to the right to 8%.

Loosely select the eyes nose and mouth, feather by 5 pixels, then apply Unsharp Mask with settings of Amount 69%, Radius 1.7 pixels.

Run through NN again, this time masking the monkey so it only affects the background.

For the settings above....If I haven't given a figure for anything in any of the dialog boxes, it's because no adjustments were made other than stated.

Just use as a guide, there is a very nice photo in there somewhere

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:04 AM   #4

im not really sure what i am looking for either i just was not satisfied with the way that it came out. I prob just need to let it go. it is so dark that the noise in the photo is way to easy to see. i like the subject just not the quality of the photo.Oh well. thanks for your input.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:05 AM   #5

wow that looks alot beter
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:12 AM   #6

This is with some regular sharpening and a tad of noise reduction. I would apply the noise reduction just to the background and use more if I were printing it, but I didn't want the noise reduction to soften the monkey too much and I'm too lazy to do it right. I like the first one better anyway. I just wanted to see what some regular USM did for it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:20 PM   #7

As Slipe pointed out, there is always going to be an amount of noise in this one. To reduce all or most of it is going to lose detail.

Just try a combination of all of the above suggestions. I'm sure you can come up with a better result if you spend a little more time on it, I think it's worth your time to do so.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:13 AM   #8

I don't think there is much to be done about the dark noise. Sometimes, a bit of sharpening, followed by noise reduction, then repeating both, possibly with more iterations, sill giet you what you need.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote