Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:34 PM   #1

I just downloaded the Gimp, and at first glance, it looks very complex and difficult to use, the GUIlooks anything butintuitive. Has anyone had any first-hand experience with this free program? There's a lot of talk about the Gimp on the Net but very little here, and I'd be interested in hearing from some actual users. Thanks in advance.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:34 AM   #2
Administrator

I play with it from time to time under Linux (I've been testing some Linux distros in a dual boot config). But, I wouldn't consider myself to be a GIMP user yet.

I'm only looking for alternatives to Windows XP (I plan on switching to Linux before Vista is released, and I'm currently running a dual boot config with Windows XP Pro and Linux). But, I'll probably still be running some Windows applicatoins under Linux (via an application called Wine).

The next version of the GIMP (2.4) is supposed to have some significant changes to the menu system to make it easier to use, as well as support for Color Management via ICC Profiles). That's one of the current version's perceived drawbacks (lack of support for Color Management). It also works in 8 bits per channel (versus 16 bits per channel, if you're manipulating raw or 16 bit tiff). But, thanks to plugins, it can still read and convert 16 bit files (raw files) from almost any camera that supports raw.

For users more comfortable with Photoshop, you can get a modified version of it using similar menus and toolbars, too. It's called GIMPShop

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:13 PM   #3

I just got the GIMP to see whether it would make UFRaw work on my WinMe system. It didn't help. UFRaw works fine until it comes time to save the RAW image, then it fails.

In my limited use of GIMP I noticed that image corrections like Levels don't update in the preview image in real-time. The preview image only starts updating after I finish moving a slider and take my finger off the mouse -- and then it updates in a rather slow scan from the top of the image down. This is quite frustrating after being used to PS where the preview image changes while you are moving the sliders so that you know exactly where to stop during any given adjustment.
Maybe this is different for users who have newer, more powerful computers than mine.

If I didn't already have PS I might give the GIMP a serious try, but.....

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:57 PM   #4

Too bad GIMPShop isn't available for Windows OS yet. As it is, the Gimp is just too confusingand inconvenient to use, so I guess I'll have to be patient. Thanks for the info.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:00 PM   #5
Administrator

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
Too bad GIMPShop isn't available for Windows OS yet. As it is, the Gimp is just too unintuitive and inconvenient to use, so I guess I'll have to be patient. Thanks for the info.
There is a download link for a Windows version on the page I posted a link to above.

Here is the direct link to the download:

http://www.plasticbugs.com/blogimg/G...beta_Setup.exe

I haven't tried.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote