Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:28 PM   #11

Here's what you need to do, Windows uses sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as the default color space. So what you need to do is to go into Photoshop's color settings options and select "Web Graphics Defaults", which is set to cater to Windows users (95% of the population) For color management, you may either set RGB to "embed profiles", or "convert to RGB"

This way, when you save your file in Photoshop, the color will match what you see when you uploaded it image and view it on your web browser.

curtis

curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:41 PM   #12

Curtis is right on the money. srgb is what you want. Home inkjets use the same profile.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:39 AM   #13

my ink jet printer don't use srgb, and my photos come out perfect using rgb, and not very good using srgb, srgb is for the web. pixelstuff what is ach and alex, iam not a he btw ? explain please.

Alex :Gps,pixelstuff iam going to visit Vienna in early april what is the weather like then, hope its warm.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:46 AM   #14

Thanks pixelstuff

I unfortunately overwrote the adobe gamma profile, but im not sure If Ineed the original now.

I did the adjustments in Adobe the wayalex jamessuggested, and iv had another play with the Adobe gamma adjustments.

I think I am happy with the new settings, although I have no idea whether a professional would agree.

Thier isnow only avery very slight difference between viewing photos on Explorer and Adobe, butI amhoping that this is something that is not unusual, anyone??

Iv noticed that now when I load a picture into photoshop, I am given three options before the image appears, I cant remember what the options say (Im at work), but one says something long the lines of converting the image to match the work space.

I tick the 2nd box to convert the images to match the work space (I guess thats what im supposed to do).

So from now on every time Iwant to view photos in photoshop, do I have to keep checking the box to convert each image??

Or perhaps nowI should go ahead and try curtisfun's idea
5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:37 AM   #15

shane leave it on convert to RGB. As long as your camera and scanner supports it, use a large colour space like RGB, use srgb for web graphics. Using abobe rgb for web images can lead to washed out looking colours in applications that are not colour aware. ( most web browsers )

Alex
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:19 AM   #16

Hi alex james

I don'teven know what RGB is, all I am really interested in is having a program that displays my photographs.

Now you say
Quote:
As long as your camera and scanner supports it

which has confused me again.

My camera is a sony H1,please tell me thats Adobe supports that.

Why wouldn't a camera be supported by photoshop?

I just don't remember any of this hassle when I used a really basic program for my old compact camera years ago, I just didn't need to think about web based pictureslooking washed out compared to other pictures and all this RGB and gamma stuff.

Now iv gotthings looking pretty much how I want them (see my last post), whydo I keep getting asked to convert the images to match the work space each time I open a photo?, cant I turn off that meesage so my photos appear straightaway?

All I wana do is see my photos in adobe the way they should be seen

I dont wish to appear hard work to all of you, I just want to keep things simple.

Now photos appear to be relatively similar to how they look in explorer, I get this pesky convert message each time I open one. Now iv spent ages going through my photos clicking yes to convert them,imnowworried im going to keep getting this message all the time, or even worse I am worried ill have to change them all again if whatever the settings iv been advised to change (see second post) are wrong.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:33 AM   #17

<<<hug hug>>>
Come on, you already adjusted your monitor so you are satisfied, time to smile not to cry!
When you go to the Adobe colorsettings again like alex james explained, you see checkboxes at the bottom of the dialogue window. Depending on language -:?-they say something like "check when opening". Uncheck them all. Now Photoshop will stop asking you what to do.

alex: I meant I am a she, not a he. And ach is like oh! Alas! - cannot find again where I used that...
April is a good time to visit Vienna - May or June are probably best but you´ll have lots of green and blossoms and sunshine! (o.k. can´t garantie sunshine:G)

pixelstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:40 AM   #18

Thanks pixelstuff!

You lot must be pulling your hair out reading my posts.

I am sure some people here might say "don't Uncheck them all", but I am but a simple home user not looking for absolute perfection.

Now perhaps I am finally there.

When I return home from work tonight and apply your suggestion pixelstuff, I hope I will be happy and needn't bother you all again.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:17 AM   #19

good luck shane just follow what pix said and everthing will be ok, I know it sounds complecated but its not. RGB stands for red green blue which all monitors are.

don't worry about it, as i said if you use photoshop just make sure your using adobe rgb, you will never get it 100% unless you spend lots ot money, if it looks good then thats ok.

Alex
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:07 AM   #20

Thanks again

Its just as well I have to much sparetime on my hands while sitting at my computer at work.