Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:13 AM   #1

Hi

Ill try and explain the problem as clearly as a newbie can.

A few weeks ago I installed Adobe Photoshop 7.

Aftermy first reallysuccessful day of shooting with my new digital camera, I decided to transfer the images to my computer.

I spent an hour ortwo on Adobe learning how to improve on my shots, and I made some very nice changes to the photos I had taken that day.

I started to get concerned when I decided to look at the results using Windows. Basically all the images viewed with Windowswere really bright and nothing like the images when viewed with Adobe.

So my first question is: Which is the correct colour... images viewed with Adobe or images viewed with Windows?

A friend of mine suggested adjusting Gamma. I have no idea what that is but I found a folder in Adobe with Gamma in it, and started following the wizard.

After making the Gamma adjustments, the colour of images displayed with Windows were still different to images displayed with Adobe, although not as extreme as before.

Of course now iv started messing with thisgamma thing I cant make up my mindas tohow best toadjust my monitor display.

Iwish I'd never touched this gamma thingto start with now.

This is really driving me crazy as I have no idea whether Adobe or Windows is the correct colour.

Can anyone please explain to me in as non technical a way as possiblewhat I am suppposed to do to make Adobe the same colour as Windows, if infact that is what im supposed to do in the first place?

Many thanks

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:36 PM   #2

hi shaun try this it works for me, go into photoshop click edit, click on colour settings in the box u will see settings custom leave it at that, then u will seeRGB that should be set to adobe RGB ( 1998 ) then cmyk this should be us web coated SWOP v2 then gray dot gain 20 % spot 20% next box RGB convert to working RGB, then cmyk preserve embedded profiles, grey off load and save. When u set your gammer if u r not doing somake sure your room is very dark when u r looking at the gammer settings it makes a difference. hope this helps Alex
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:47 PM   #3

shaun on the net type in colour settings photoshop. good luck.

Alex

Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:14 PM   #4

hi

what do you mean with windows colors? you will always use a programm to display a photo so you have different colors between photoshop and ?

But you can set the overall windows colorprofile to Adobe98, I am using a german language system so I am including a screenshot so you can figure it out.

And there are no real colors. They always depend on system, settings, printer, color profile, monitor calibration, printer calibration...

And you should calibrate your monitor, in - whatever it´s called in english, please check screenshot in next post - you´ll find Adobe Gamma or more on the Internet.

And forget about CMYK before you get something printed with an offset 4 color Heidelberg!

That´s all I can think of now, but I probably didn´t get your problem :?:lol:
Attached Images

pixelstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:14 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:37 AM   #6

Thanks for both of your replies.

alex james, before I do what you suggested, I really want to understand what it is I am doing and why I am doing it in the first place.

pixelstuff,
Quote:
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"what do you mean with windows colours? you will always use a program to display a photo so you have different colours between Photoshop and ?

I mean, photos viewed using Windows (the operating system) are a different colour than photos viewed with Adobe.

Quote:
But you can set the overall windows colorprofile to Adobe98,
I dont really know what you mean, and what is adobe98?... please just see my questions below.

I hope they are clear enough.

I would like toknow why photos viewed with adobe are a different colour/ brightness or whatever you want to call it to viewing them with Windows (the operating system), and which of the two (windows or adobe) are the correct colour/brightness or whatever? and does it matter anyway?

My mates photos look the same on his computer, whether he uses Adobe or Windows (the operating system) to view them.

Also, when I adjust gamma (whatever that is), is it adjusting Adobe or everything except Adobe, in order that Windows (the operating system) comes into line with Adobe.

I really don't know how to make what I am writing any clearer.

I appreciate the help, but I am still confused, please see my questions above.

Thanks.
please see my questions above.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:46 AM   #7

both alex james an me were referring to a color profile that you can set both in photoshop and the operating system. just right click on your windows desktop and follow the first screenshot I posted. It will only improve your system, you cannot harm it.
I quess that with viewing with the operating sytem you mean with the windows explorer. Things will become clearer to you when you explore them step by step.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:38 AM   #8

Yes, I mean windows explorer

I don't understand why photos viewed on explorerlook different onadobe.

I didn't have such worries with more basic past editing programs.

Before I try your instructions for making adobe the same as explorer, How do I change my monitor gamma thing the way it was before I started playing with it?... Do i just delete the saved profiles until I get things back to normal?

I shouldn't have bothered touching that gamma thing, because now its totally messed up.

All I wanted to do was have adobe photo-shop,I didn't think id have trouble before I even started playing with it :sad:
Quote:
both alex james an me were referring to a color profile that you can set both in photoshop and the operating system. just right click on your windows desktop and follow the first screenshot I posted. It will only improve your system, you cannot harm it.
I quess that with viewing with the operating sytem you mean with the windows explorer. Things will become clearer to you when you explore them step by step.
So you are saying that the above instructionswill make the photos displayed in Adobe look exactly the same in explorer?

Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:43 PM   #9

hi shaun the top illustration that pixelstuff showed i would not bother with that unless you know what you are doing, that will knock your screen out of colour, get the next one down the gammer he has circled in red, is the one you want, that will only calibrate your monitor and thats it. Going back to the other which is in photoshop set that to adobe monitor RGB also if you have a scanner that should be set to adobe rgb . As i said if you do a search on google calibrateing your monitor, or colour managment that will help, do'not set anything to windows if you are using photoshop, it can cause a conflict between each other.

Alex
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:45 PM   #10

Waaaaiiiit a moment

Say, 5hane, when you say you messed up with gamma first place did you use the adobe gamma icon in the second screenshot?

What happens with Adobe Gamma is that after the calibration process you save your own color profile. So if you don´t like your work (:G Happened to me many times), THEN you should follow Screenshot 1 and set Adobe98 as your color profile to get rid of the one you created. Let´s hope you didn´t overwrite it when you saved the one you created but I could send it to you via email.

So: Screenshot 1, the window where you can choose a color profile: If you create one with the adobe gamma icon in Screenshot 2 than it will be among these profiles, with the name that you gave it.

But maybe you used settings of your graphic cards software or buttons on the monitor? Then you can look for "default or factory settings"

Good luck and don´t be afraid to try these things!

Ach and alex, I am not a he btw :G!