Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:33 AM   #1

I use photostudio for editing my work. I came across photoshop elements 3 and photoshops cs. Can anyone tell me the difference and which one would be more preferred and why. Will greatly appreciate. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2006, 2:43 PM   #2

If price isn't a factor go with CS. There are thousands of tutorials online for Photoshop for doing almost any task. You can usually adapt the tutorials for Elements and there are plenty of Elements tutorials. The Photoshop tutorials tend to go into more sophisticated techniques.

You will likely be able to do anything you might want to do in Elements and it is a little easier to learn. But Photoshop is more competent for advanced work.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:44 PM   #3

Slipe thanks for the infor, at least that is something to go by. Regards. Jaki
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:11 PM   #4

I have Elements 3, which works pretty well for photography. CS is a more comprehensive graphics package, aimed more towards creating graphics such as magazine layouts, advertising, etc.

I don't have any direct experience with CS, but don't see too much that Elements can't do in the way of processing digital photographs. I have been a Photoimpact user for some time, as well, Elements being fairly new to me, and still tend to use PI more. Elements came bundled with a scanner, so I installed it and find the best thing about it is the Raw converter plugin which works more seamlessly than anything else I have.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:02 AM   #5

Thanks Brian for coming handy about this kind of information. Complete new to both of them and so would not know but this takes me at least a step further. Regards. Jaki.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:11 AM   #6

If you can get a hold of elements 4, it has some nifty inprovements over 3. For just editing photos, its pretty sweet and I use it 90 percent of the time. I only use CS for some specific masking techniques and curves work which arent supported by elements and some filters which dont have elements 4 support.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:40 PM   #7

Thanks VATechtigger for the advice. It seems I will settle with Elements 4. No need spending big bucks when other alternatives are around. Regards. Jaki.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:17 PM   #8

You can download a 30 day trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. I had to disable my ZoneAalrm program inorder to download the product. It is a pretty big download at around 365mb. Better have DSl or plan on a nap.

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...jsp?ftpID=3105
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:43 PM   #9

Thanks Kanon for the link. Regard. Jaki