Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:43 PM   #1

I am looking to get a photoshop program and there are so many choices, which one should i get? What is the difference??

Champion05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:28 AM   #2

The differences in the 2 are so many that you can't list them all. Photoshop 7.0 will do just about anything you can dream up and you are only limited by your imagination and Elements has limits to what you are able to do. Photoshop 7.0 costs a lot more than Elements. If cost is not a factor, then you can not go wrong with Photoshop but be prepared to take some time to learn teh program. I've been working with Photoshop since version 3.0 and I still learn something new all the time.

Also, the type of editing you plan on doing can affect your software decision. Elements will handle a lot of common tasks for most so Photoshop may be more than you need.

I know Adobe offers free trials of both on thier website, I suggest downloading them and trying them out. Although Photoshop is now at version CS2, which is like version 9.

One more thing, if you aren't sold on Adobe yet, you can check out Paintshop Pro from Corel. It used to be owned by JASC and it's one heck a program. It does most of what Photoshop does at a fraction of the cost, again, they have a demo also.

Dave Porter

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:21 AM   #3

also, if you have never used an editor before, its unlikely that you will need what CS2 has to offer. Elements 4 wil handle all laymen editing tasks, and make them easier to do compared to the full version. There are also free (not demo) software that will do most everything. See my post here http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=31

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:40 PM   #4

Thanks. My father bought me Elements 4.0 for Christmas, and I had asked for a Adobe Photoshop program. I do understand the price difference, and I am sure he was on a more limited budget.

I have been taking pictures since I can remeber, and want to have a professional hobby taking pictures in the near future. My family does not take this as seriously as I have, but I have been buying different cameras for years.

I hope to take a diploma program in the fall, to learn more about the "art of photography," as well as to take better pictures and begin a career, part time/ side job from my regluar one.

Would it be benificial to upgrade later if I want to do something more professional??

Champion05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5

I would just use Elements and learn how to use all the features. Upgade if you need something or come across something in your classes. I wouldnt make it an issue because for 99 percent of the home photographers who go out and buy the full version probably dont use 99 percent of the features of it.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:40 AM   #6

Since you already have Elements, you have a good starting point to photo editing. For the most part, whatever you learn with Elements can be transferred to the full blown Photoshop later on down the road.

Here's another thing to think about. Which version you need may also depend on what kind of photography you want to do. I think a key point to remember is that any editor should be used as a tool and shouldn't take the place of good old fashion photography. Photoshop CS is able to do much more than edit photos. I use it for web page development and photo editing and others use it for much more, where as Elements could very well accomplish all the tasks that a photographer needs aside from the more in depth tasks.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:05 PM   #7

I have Photoshop Elements 1.0. and I've tried Elements 2.0 and Elements 4.0
After trying Elements 2 and Elements 4 I could detect little worthwhile difference between them and Elements 1.

So, I can see no reason (for me) to upgrade to Elements 4.

I've also tried Photoshop 7.0. To my surprise, I found that in some ways it was less convenient that Elements 1. I did though find that Photoshop 7.0 was easier to use when I wanted to adjust color balance.

Here's an example of a completely imaginary scene that I put together today. It was done entirely using Elements 1.

Having said all that, I expect there are all sorts of functions in all these Photoshop programs that I'm haven't learned to use or that I'm not even aware of......

Herb
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:49 AM   #8

Champion05 wrote:
Quote:
... I hope to take a diploma program in the fall, ...
As others have said, learn how to use what you have now. If you want to do more than it can do, that is the time to upgrade. Also, Adobe offers very substantial student discounts so waiting until you are enrolled will saveyou a lot.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:07 AM   #9
Administrator

Aside from differences in edition functionality, if you are shooting in raw and want to use Adobe Camera raw to convert your images (plugins are available for Photoshop or newer versions of Photoshop Elements), you'll need newer versions of Adobe's products (Photoshop or Photoshop Elements) to support newer cameras.

Adobe has a habit of making you upgrade to newer versions of their products to get support for raw files from newer models.

In other words, they make sure newer versions of Adobe Camera Raw only work with newer versions of Photoshop or Photshop Elements. So, if you wanted to use a newer version of Adobe Camera Raw with Photoshop 7, it wouldn't work.

The latest 3.3 version of Adobe Camera Raw (with support for more newer camera models), requires Adobe Photoshop Elements version 3 or 4; or Photoshop CS2.

Some users that bought a new camera model aren't very happy about needing to upgrade from Photoshop CS to CS2, just to use the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw to convert their raw files.

So, you may want to take that into consideration, depending on your camera model if you shoot in raw.

If you use third party tools instead of Adobe Camera Raw to convert your raw files, then this wouldn't be a consideration.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:06 PM   #10

Herb wrote:
Quote:

Here's an example of a completely imaginary scene that I put together today. It was done entirely using Elements 1.

Herb
Very cool Picture!!!:-)
HOKIEGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote