Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:35 PM   #1

what program would you advice for making post processing to an amateur? especially color, saturation, brightness etc.

i need a non-sophisticated program giving good results before i move on to photoshop...

thank you very much..
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:18 PM   #2

Whatever program came with your camera should handle all those tasks and more.
If you aren't happy with it, there are a number of good programs that you can download as freeware which can be found with a Google safari.

You might try Photoshop Elements before you go for Photoshop. It's a lot cheaper and you may find that it does everything that you want to do. A lot of literature is available in books and free on the web about PE, so instructions are easy to find.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:53 PM   #3

I agree: use what you have now until you learnit's limitations. Get some freeware as well: IrfanView is not a photo editor, but is a very nice viewer has a bunch of batch utilities. Get an EXIF viewer: ask in the forum for your specific camera - I like EXIFER, but often there is a EXIF viewer that is better at showing specialized data from specific cameras.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:58 PM   #4

I have heard a number of good things about Google's Picasa, which is an organizer which has the editing features you mention, and is free. Ulead Photo Explorer, is similar. I works well as a browser and viewer as well as having the basic editing functions. The free version has some ads in it , I understand. I use the version which came with Photoimpact as my primary browser/viewer/organizer.

Irfanview, as billdrew mentions, is a pretty useful program, and it does have the basic editing features. Also works with photoshop plugins, so there are any number of ways you can modify images.

I think that Kodak's Easyshare software is also offered for free. I have used an earlier version, but found the print driver to take too long to compile.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:21 AM   #5

I use Picasa2 for organizing and quick edits that you mention and Photoshop for major renovations. I agree that if you plan on the Photoshop plunge, you could start with Photoshop Elements. You may even find that Elements is all you need.

You could also try out PaintShop Pro from Corel. It's a lot less expensive (sounds better than Cheaper) than Photoshop and has a lot of the same features.

There are lots of free trials and shareware out there so just go wild.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:33 AM   #6

The free trials are well worth trying, but make sure you have the time to try them before you start. Most/all have a time limit of 30to 60 days. Since a full featured photo editor can doa lot of things, it takes a fair amount of time to figure out. You don't wantthe trial time to lapse before you have spent enough time with the editor to figure a bunch of it out.

The other thing to watch for with trials isthedifferencebetween "beginner friendly" and useability. Lots of pop-ups, drop-downs, ... can be nice when you are learning a program, but can get in the way once you have figured it out.A rat's nest of pallets gets in the way when you are learning a program, but is real nice once you have figured it out and havea set-upto suit your own style.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:17 AM   #7

a totally free (not demo) editor that has many features similar to photoshop etc is called "paint.net" get it here http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/ note that it only runs on windows computers. Its pretty easy to use in some regards.

Also, there is a free (not demo) program called Gimp that is highly evolved, although the interface is different that Photoshop so if you use one, it s bit more diffacult to migrate to the other. you can get that here http://www.gimp.org/ Its a little more for teh computer savvy as well.

You can try both to get your feet wet.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:57 AM   #8

Try a free download of Paint Shop Pro 7 from:

http://www.com-puterworks.com/Free_Downloads.htm

Although an older version, it gives you an idea if what is involved. I also use the editor in ACDSee which is easy to use for really quick edits and is economical also.

paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:47 AM   #9
Administrator

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
[snip]
...IrfanView is not a photo editor, but is a very nice viewer has a bunch of batch utilities.
That depends on what you want to do.

It's got the ability to make adjustments to things like gamma, contrast, saturation and even lets you adjust color based on invidual RGB channels (and you can make the changes to individual images or in batch mode for multiple images). It's also got the ability to use some of the .8bf plug-in's designed for PS (for example, I use one designed for fast "eyeball" correction of barrel or pincushion distortion).

I use it's built in redeye reduction feature often. It seems to be less senstive to varying shades of red/reflections in the eyes compared to most other editors with similar redeye reduction features.

It also lets you vary the amount of correction via this choice under the "effects browser" menu, with previews for the area selected so you can see how the correction impacts the image before you apply it.

I also use it's sharpening features from time to time (again, using this choice from the effects browser menu, to make it easier to vary the amount applied). It's not as sophisticated as USM, but it works much better than some editors I've used.

I use it's resizing features often, too. It's got a variety of interpolation algorithms available like B-Spline (Bicubic) and Lanczos.

Best of all, it's free (and it's a fast loading tool that doesn't eat up your PC's resources like many other browsers and editors will).

Sure, there are products that have much more sophisticated tools available.

But, it's a very good one to have in your arsenal.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:35 PM   #10

thank you very much for your replies, they would be very useful and helpful to me.. (or shall i use another thing rather than "would" ? ) anyway i am still learning english learning to use english..
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote