Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:51 AM   #1

Not sure where the best place to post this. I have a new computer that I use primarily for photoshop. I bought an AMD processor with window XP 64 edition. I can't find drivers for my spider pro and I can't find any anti-viral software for my computer. I am wondering if I made a mistake with XP 64. Any suggestions? Anyone else useing this setup?

Steve
torresmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2

unfortunetely XP64 just doesnt have the driver support it needed with the current gen hardware. And there really arent any applications that make specific use of the extra bits. Now when Vista comes around, there should be sufficient 64bit driver support, but thats a ways off.

Antivirus for the x64 is not yet available in a public form. Norton 10 corporate edition does support it, but you wont be able to afford it as an indivudual. Perhaps the windows live beta (which is an online scan through microsoft) works in 64, I dont know.

Basically the general consesus is XP pro is a much better alternative to x64 for 99.9 percent of the public. The Athlon 64 is still wicked fast running at only 32 bits.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3

Avasti has a 64 bit version but I don't know whether the free home version incorporates it yet. http://www.avast.com/eng/whats_new_in_avast_v.html

I think your best bet would be to ask here: http://forums.techguy.org/18-all-other-software/

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. I am tempted to go back to the 32 bit, just not sure how to do this. I can always switch back to 64 later. I have windows xp 32bit on disc and now would be a good time to switch since I don't have any files that I can't save on disc. I just don't know how to go about making the switch. Can anyone guide me? Maybe I should call tech support.

Steve
torresmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:19 PM   #5

I am running an AMD Athlon 64 processor with Windows XP home edition 64 bit

Can't help with the drivers you mention, but I run AVG antivirus and it works fine on the 64 bit edition of Windows. what's more it is absolutely free and can be downloaded from http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 I have been using the 64 bit edition of Windows for around eighteen months now with AVG antivirus withno problems whatsoever.
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:17 PM   #6

installing a new OS is not hard. Makiing the switch is up to you and depends on what hardware you have. I did not go to x64 becuase I have many devoces that dont have drivers for x64 yet. JUst another pain for me. And the things I do use most often run slower on x64 versus x32 becuase of the extra memory overhead. (not much but they do)

If you do want to switch you would have to also have teh install discs for whatever else you run on your computer like MS office, photoshop, games, etc. YOu need to put all that stuff back on.

So, if x64 is up and running and not being able to use that one piece of hardware bothers you I can walk you through a reinstall. Otherwise just stick it out with x64 and hopefully the driver will come along.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote