Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:39 PM   #1

Hello everyone.

I've heard very good commentaries about this image-editing software which can basically be resumed in:

1) It's a very complete program, some people actually compares it to Photoshop.

2) It's absolutely FREE!!!

So, I wanted to know if someone here had used this software, and it's opinions about it....

For those who have no idea about it, its address is http://gimp.org

Thanks a lot.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:17 AM   #2
Administrator

Other than it's user interface (many people don't like it), it's biggest perceived drawbacks are lack of support for 16 bits/channel, and lack of support for color management (ICC Profiles).

But, it is a very powerful editor and many Linux fans really like it. I haven't played with it much yet (although I've been testing some Linux distributions for a while, and it seems up to most tasks, especially with available free plugins for raw conversion). A number of Linux distributions already have it installed (and you can get versions of it that have been ported to Windows and Mac operating systems, too).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:23 AM   #3

you can also get a version of the Gimp called Gimpshop. Its a reworked version of Gimp with Menus and things changed to match what they would be called in Photoshop if you are already used to that convention. The main site is done right now (bandwidth exceeded. A good sign perhaps Just search it on google.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I'm using Win XP, I guess I should have no problem installing it? I read some stuff about something else needed to be installed prior to the Gimp.

Does Gimpshop work with Windows?

Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:08 PM   #5

windows version

http://www.plasticbugs.com/blogimg/G...beta_Setup.exe

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:19 AM   #6

For the "regular" version of GIMP you have to install something called the GIMP Tool Kit before you try to install GIMP. There are different versions depending on your operating system. Don't know whether the same applies to GIMPshop. There are links to various mirror sites for the GIMP Tool Kit on the Gimp website.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:32 PM   #7

I have GIMP and Photoshop Elements 1.0. GIMP can do more things than Photoshop Elements! Curves, Layer masks, etc. aren't in elements but are in GIMP.

The layout is different but once you get use to it it isn't bad. At work I have dual screens so I can have all the controls on on monitor and the image on the other and this works out nicely. The controls are customizable as well. What I mean is you can move around things to almost anywhere, display only the controls you use, and such like.

The only negative is that it seems to take longer to do funcitons like Unsharpmask and the like on large files (50+ MB) than it does on photoshop elements.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:10 PM   #8

what is unsharp mask?

thanks.
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:13 AM   #9

"what is unsharp mask?"

Onemethod of sharpening your photos that providesgood/appropriate results.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:55 PM   #10

*Well, to me there is one downside so far... I should make it clear that it was not GIMP but GIMPSHOP.*Downside:* it does not open .EPS files.* Since I was translating .AI (Adobe Illustrator files) into .JPG, and the way I know to do it is saving a file in Illustrator as .EPS, opening it in Photoshop and then saving it as .JPG, well, it is a downside.*Can anyone provide workarounds or solutions to this?*Thanks.