Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:45 PM   #1

using photoshop cs2. what is the best way to enlarge pictures? Any general rule of thumbs (I start with 8mp)

thanks for your time,
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2

Luminous Landscape suggests a single upsample to about 20% larger than you want with Bicubic Smoother and a resize back to your target size with Bicubic Sharper.

Many people say that a single resample with Bicubic Smoother is better than straight Bicubic. I've run some tests and both the Genuine Fractals plug-in and stepped interpolation (SI) work better than Bicubic Smoother.

If you have plenty of RAM I find SI to give the best upsamples. You increase the size in small increments using straight Bicubic. I use 2% increases but 5% works almost as well and is a lot faster. It sounds non-intuitive but it works.

I have an action with five 2% increases and another action with four of the first action. Unless you have a LOT of RAM I would suggest 5% increases instead for 8Mp images. There isn't a reason to hit an exact number of pixels. Your printer is going to resample whatever you send it when I spools the print job. You just want to make sure you have enough.

If you are sending an image out for a large print consult with them before doing any upsample. Many prefer that you not upsample at all and let them do it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:05 PM   #3

there is a plug in called photo zoom what does a great job it takes time to reprosses the image though deepending on speed of your pc

i have used it a few times and am happy with results
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote