Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:47 AM   #1

I am at my wit's end here and I hope someone can help! I have a brand new laptop running AMD mobile Athlon 64 4000+ and a gig or RAM. I have installed Creative Suite CS2 and everything runs fine except Photoshop!! It opens fine but when I click on any of the menu items (File, Edit, etc.) it tops the processor at 100% and shows two copies of Photoshop 'not responding' in the task manager (I am running Windows XP home). I have to end the process to shut the thing down!!

Can anyone help solve this problem? Has anyone else had this issue??
djdpascoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:17 AM   #2

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure if this will help, but Photoshop Elements used to have the same problem with the File Browser on some processors. The solutionin that casewas to load Photoshop and wait (a looonnnggg time) for it to finish whatever it is doing. Then when the program begins to respond, go to the Window menu (and wait) and check to see if the file browser is selected. If you un-check this option, it may free up your processor. My system runs fine without the browser, and I don't miss it at all.

Good luck,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

By the way, the "two copies of... not responding" represent the Photoshop application itself and the Windows Explorer application hooks. (not sure what the technical term is here) If you have to use the task manager to exit, I'd suggest terminating the application only.
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:30 AM   #3

Hi
Try deleting the preferences - a file called 'Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs.psp'
It's usually in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings, but you can search C:\Documents and Settings for *.psp.
Photoshop will re-build the file the next time it opens.

HTH

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 4:31 AM   #4

Argghh the same thing has happened to me!! did you manage to resolve this - my next step is a full reinstall of everything and i would like to resolve that if possible!!

djdpascoe wrote:
Quote:
I am at my wit's end here and I hope someone can help! I have a brand new laptop running AMD mobile Athlon 64 4000+ and a gig or RAM. I have installed Creative Suite CS2 and everything runs fine except Photoshop!! It opens fine but when I click on any of the menu items (File, Edit, etc.) it tops the processor at 100% and shows two copies of Photoshop 'not responding' in the task manager (I am running Windows XP home). I have to end the process to shut the thing down!!

Can anyone help solve this problem? Has anyone else had this issue??
ajbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 7:32 AM   #5

right i will just answer my own post in case this affects anyone else

i finally tracked the problem down to....

the language tool bar!!!!

for some god known reason my language was set to welsh! i dont know how it got on there but once uninstalled then photoshop loaded up and all went as normal!

i hate computers
Old May 25, 2006, 2:39 AM   #6

Hi
I know the Welsh get blamed for most things from the fall of the Roman Empire to Global Warming, but crashing Photoshop ? :lol::lol:

iechyd da

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 3:44 AM   #7

Tell me about it and i can assure you i will be sending the bill for the 2 days it took me (including a full reinstall of my entire operating system) to the welsh assembly!!!