Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:16 AM   #1

Hi guys, can someone tell me whether its better to edit RAW images of JPEGS in Photoshop elements.

Am I right in assuming its best to take your shots in RAW then you have more control over tinkering with exposure etc, then saving as a jpeg for more comprehensive editing in your chosen software?

Please help!
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2

RAW gives you a huge amount of control before conversion. You can change the exposure or the white balance.

I wouldn't save the converted file as JPG as this is a lossy foramt and each time you make a change and resave the picture you degrade the image further. Save a TIF while you're working on the picture and only save it as JPG when you've finished all your processing. Even then I save as TIF but JPG uses less space.

The other issue with JPG is that it is an 8 bit format, RAW is generally 12 bit you treat it as 16 bit because this is what editing software understands. You can save TIF as a 16 bit file.

There is a limit to how much editing you can do on a 16 bit file but do as much as possible before converting to 8 bit. That wayif you apply curves or levels you have more data thanyou need for the final output (printers andmonitors are 8 bit) so the final conversion results in a smoother image with less likelyhood of colour banding.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:00 PM   #3

Ken,

Thanks for the help, that really sorts things out once and for all!

Many thanks!

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 4:30 PM   #4

Nagasaki wrote:
Quote:
RAW gives you a huge amount of control before conversion. You can change the exposure or the white balance.

The other issue with JPG is that it is an 8 bit format, RAW is generally 12 bit you treat it as 16 bit because this is what editing software understands. You can save TIF as a 16 bit file.

There is a limit to how much editing you can do on a 16 bit file but do as much as possible before converting to 8 bit. That wayif you apply curves or levels you have more data thanyou need for the final output (printers andmonitors are 8 bit) so the final conversion results in a smoother image with less likelyhood of colour banding.

Ken
This post is giving me a good idea of the work flow in RAW.Is there any more detailed information on workflowson the web somewhere?

I am shooting in RAW and need more information on what steps to follow with some details for different outputs, likelarge prints, saving for archive, and for web postings. Any help will be appreciated.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote