Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:54 PM   #11
Administrator

It should retain it, unless Nikon is putting it somewhere it can't find it, or one of your editing steps is stripping it somehow. Are you shooting raw or jpeg?

Are you sure it's not there (not visible in other editors like Irfanview ), or is only PictureProject impacted?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:58 PM   #12

i'm shooting in JPEG.

without doing any editing, i can see the ISO number on PictureProject software (provided by nikon when i bought my camera) including aperture number, shutter speed and etc.

after i cropped the pic, i lost the ISO sensitivity data of that pic when i check it back using PictureProject. but the aperture number and shutter speed value is still there.
mizi_suichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:02 PM   #13

this is the example of picture i tried to edit.
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:08 PM   #14
Administrator

The ISO speed is gone. It could be a bug in PS CS2, or it could be a bug in the way Nikon is writing the EXIF.

If you want to make sure you've got the original EXIF, you can use a tool like Exifer to backup and restore the EXIF.

Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:16 PM   #15

ok.. i will try it now.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:29 PM   #16
Administrator

I did a little more digging, and the problem appears to stem from where Nikon is writing the ISO speed (not where image editors expect to see it).

There is a free program that's designed to read the ISO information and write it back to the correct spot in the file with D70 images.

I don't know if it works on D50 images or not (you'd have to try it on an image and see).

Basically, you'd need to use this program prior to any editing (and I'd work on a copy to test it), to retain the ISO speed (letting it put it in the correct place in the image, prior to any editing steps).

http://www.vandrasik.com/software/IsoFix12.zip

Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:29 PM   #17

since i'm not familiar with this software, could u teach me how to back up and restore the exif data? thanks
Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:37 PM   #18
Administrator

Which software? I have not used the last software package I mentioned to fix EXIF.

As for Exifer, it's quite simple.

After clicking on an image to select it, you can save to EXIF to a file by using EXIF/IPTC, Save to File

To restore the EXIF to an edited image, select the edited image by clicking on it, and restore the EXIF by using EXIF/IPTC, Insert From File (selecting the same file you saved the EXIF to originally).

Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:57 PM   #19

i'm trying using exifer now. but not all picture appear in that software. it show 'thumbnail not available'.

when i double clik on that file, it shows the original pic. then i click right and go to EXIF/IPTC then i click 'safe to file'. but it come out with a warning... 'range error'. any help?

as far as i concern and check, it just show a vertical picture only. but horizontal picture cannot be dispaly.

Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:10 PM   #20
Administrator

You'll have to test it to figure out why you're getting errors. Experiment.

All it's doing it reading the EXIF from the original image and saving to a file that EXIFER can read it back from (make sure you're reading it from an original versus edited image when saving EXIF).

Then, when you restore it, it's just reading it from the saved file and writing it back to the edited image.

As for the thumbnails, a thumbnail image is part of the image's header, and some editors remove and/or replace the thumbnail with an edited version. If you don't see any thumbnails, then it's being stripped out during the editing process.

Thumbnails should be in the originals, though (which you should be able to restore from the saved version).