Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:14 PM   #1

I would like to enter a print competition. I want to use the portrait attached. The print rules say that the size must be 16x20. But the picture itself doesn't have to be 16x20 just mounted 16x20. I would like to apply this B&W image to a blackbackground in photoshop and then gradually fade the white into the black background. But I don't know how to do the fade.

So Far I have created the 16x20 black canvas. Then I open the picture. Use the move tool to move it onto the black canvas. Then I use the free transform and shift to resize the picture and move it to the black. I have moved it so that it sets off to the right and on a angle. Now I want to fade the white. Can anyone help me with this.

Thank you so much.

Charity

Maryland
charitynr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:15 PM   #2

The picture didn't attach.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:51 AM   #3

without seeing its a little hard to comment

but anyway to fade an image u just make the layer its on a little more transparent

in the layers pallet u have a slider for fill and opacity, try with either.

make new file size u want it to be, fill with black, drag the image u want to fade into black onto it and then if u dont see layers pallet go to window in menu bar across the top, and tick layers

select the layer your picture is on the adjust either the opacity or fill till its as u like

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:51 AM   #4

Sorry, My file was to large and did not attach. I had to drop it down to 1 in photoshop in order to get it small enough. I hope it shows ok.
Attached Images

Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:05 AM   #5

I take it you mainly want to fade the edges of your picture, which are white, into a black background, rather than fade the whole image. I use Elements and Photoimpact, so I can't give you specifics for PS, but I think you will have to create an adjustment layer and then mask out the interior of the portrait. I tried using a radial gradient in Elements, but didn't get very good results. Photoimpact makes the process very easy, though. Once the background is created, I just copied the portrait and pasted onto the background, then set the properties for edge softening for a number of pixels. Here is the resized version. If it is something like what you are after, maybe some of our photoshop experts can help with specifics.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:39 PM   #6

You did a great job. It looks great. However, I was wanting a more dramatic effect. I want the fade to be more drawn out. So to make the image of the girl stand out more. Almost like she is coming out of the print at you.

Thanks so much.

Charity
Old Apr 9, 2006, 5:52 PM   #7

tried to read and understand what u wanted, is it anything like this?

its just a simple spray over with a big blurry black brush with opacity turned down to give a soft flow then smaller more dense brush round the edge
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:26 PM   #8

OMG!!!!! I love IT!!!!!!

But I don't know what a spray over is. Can you be more specific with how you did it.

Thank you , Thank you , Thank you.

Charity
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:29 PM   #9

here is hoping u know how to use layers

on the layer pallet along the bottom are icons, next to the one for a bin (delete) is the new layer icon if u click that it adds a new layer over your original image, u can work on this without touching your original, if u go wrong u can undo or just delete the layer and make a new one to start again.

i selected a paintbrush, from drop down menu i picked one size 300 and blurry, this give a fade out effect, think i had to make brush bigger (via slide bar) and set opacity to 50% so it doesn spray too hard, then starting from the edge i just painted away carefully getting closer to the girl, then set brush to 100% opacity to give a darker fell to the edge.

u can also fade the layer (opacity or fill settings) to change the effect of the fade or duplicate the layer to darken it even more, the range of results is endless.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:25 PM   #10

Thank you so much. And lucky for me I do know layers. Oh how having layers has saved my butt more then once.

I did as you said and make a few changes to make it my own. I am completely happy with the results and can't wait till the print competition next Wednesday the 19th.

Thank you again, I greatly appreaciate it.

Charity