Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:14 PM   #1

:?I have several photo programs including PSE 2.0. I have downloaded the trial versions of PHE 4.0 & Corel Paint Shop Pro X. Each seem to have their own unique qualities. Any comments as to which program in general would give the user more flexibility? Or more bang for the bucks.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:25 AM   #2

I don't think I know what PHE is but I know Paint Shop Pro. Paint Shop is very powerful and sometimes capable of duplicating Photoshop. I've worked with Paint Shop and found some features that Photoshop does not have.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:00 AM   #3

[align=center]Sorryfor thebrevitity. Should have said Photoshop Elements 4.0.[/align]
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4

'Tis true that PSP X is a more than capable package, certainly to rival PHE 4.0, which I'm sure you mean is Photoshop Elements 4.0

The main thing you need to consider is 'the future'.

If you go with PSP X, then you are pretty much 'stuck' with what it has to offer, until the next upgrade comes along.

On the other hand, if you wish to move further up the editing chain, then Elements would offer the best solution.

Once you had got to grips with it you might well consider upgrading to the full blown version of Photoshop. This could be in the future for you, but I believe you would be eligable for a discount when upgrading.

The features available in both Elements and PSP are geared more toward the consumer, the home user. Consequently there are a number of one click fixes that will enhance your images without too much user input. Whereas Photoshop requires more knowledge and experience of the program to do the same things but with more involvement from the user.

This, to my mind, is a more acceptable way to do things, as you have far more control over anything you do to your images.

Keep using the trial software for now until you decide which you feel more comfortable with.

If you feel that with PSP you can do everything you might ever wish to do, then stick with it.

If you find that you may want to expand your talents, then Elements is the way to go with an eye on Photoshop in the future.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:43 PM   #5

Thanks guys for your feedback. Having purchased Photoshop Elements 2.0 I am eligible for a $20 rebate for an upgrade to PHE 4.0. At this time I am in no rush to purchase either one.