Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:48 PM   #1

Hello All!

I just got my hands on Adobe Photoshop, and am really very interested in the program...but it's all a bit overwhelming, initially.

Is there a "best" way to learn Photoshop? Should I just play around with it until I figure it out, or do any of you recommend a specific guide?

Thanks!
lisascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:01 PM   #2

do a search for 'photoshop tutorials' on the internet. you will find all kinds of sites that offer them. when i first started to learn ps, i spent about 4 hours a day just following tutorials. and remember that however you learn to do something in ps, there are at least 3 other ways to do the same thing.
tahoedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:43 PM   #3

totally agree with above

i practised tutorials till i knew em inside out then all the techniques u learn will give u your own ideas, weather it be for art or photo editing.

one thing to remember though is its only as good as you are
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:14 PM   #4

If your video card will support a second monitor hook one up. It doesn't have to be large or great quality. Just something you can have the tutorial on while you follow it in Photoshop. It makes it a lot easier than switching back and forth.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:44 PM   #5

the tutorials is a good suggestion. after that just open photos and play some. use every button at least once. get some photoshop trick books at the bookstore like the wow book and sit down and try these tricks. have fun.
guicklook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:07 AM   #6

Read read read. Depending on what type of Photoshop you do (digital imaging, web design, etc) there is a book for it. Scott Kelby writes some very good books and there are many others to choose from.

If you want to learn by watching, check out this site

http://www.photoshoptv.com

It's a weekly show that is available as a free download. You will need the new Quicktime or iTunes to watch it but they are pretty good.

Also, to get an understanding of the tools and other things available in Photoshop, I suggest a basic Photoshop book. YOu can usually find something at the library.

And as everyone said above, tutorials. After you learn a technique in a tutorial, you can apply and change it to meet your needs.

Good luck,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:48 AM   #7

I signed up for http://www.lynda.com a few weeks ago and its absolutely fantastic. Go to that site where they have some free tutorials to try so you can see if you like there style. I've learned a great deal from them. Good Luck.
cardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 4:16 PM   #8

Hmm, that website shows "Cannot find server."

Bummer, as I would like to learn more different tutorials.
TedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 7:42 AM   #9

http://www.lynda.com/is deffo there dunno why u cant see it
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 12:08 PM   #10

:bye:Thank you all for the excellent suggestions! I've been spending far too much time checking out the aforementioned sites and have procured a few extremely heavy books on using Photoshop.

So much to learn, so little time! Now I've got to go out and play with the camera a bit so I'll have some more to play with in Photoshop! Admittedly, making the photos is much more fun than manipulating them...maybe that's just me though. Playing outside is much more fun than sitting in front of the computer!

Anyway, thanks again for the great tips and leads. There's so much to learn, and it's great to have a place to begin!

lisascha is offline   Reply With Quote