Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:25 PM   #1

I am making a video (trying to simulate a dream state) and I want to overlay a white vignette like effect. I figure I can make it in CS2, then overlay on the video program. How do I make the vignette by itself, clear in the middle of the circle, and soft white around and to the edges? thanks for your time (when I tried, it wasn't very soft, and when I saved it, as a jpeg, it went to a white background... so it wouldn't work in the video background....

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:55 PM   #2

The problem with JPEG is that it doesn't support transparent backgrounds, you need to use either a GIF or PNG. I find the PNG gives the best results but it isn't as supported as the GIF. Here's how I made a quick vignette.

Open a new document and size it the way you want. Choose "Transparent" in the background contents and click ok.

You should now see a clear document. Now fill this with white. THen use the "Elliptical Marquee" tool to create your cut-out.

Now go to "Select -> Feather". This setting will depend on your image resolution. Me resolution was 72 and I used 50 pixels. You will need to play with this to get the result you want. Then click "Ok"

Now hit the "Delete" key and choose "Deselect". You should havea nice soft vignette effect. If you want to change it, just go back to the feather setting.

Now save it as a ONG and that's it. Simple vignette.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Attached Images

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:27 AM   #3

Thanks Dave, I had most of the steps until the feather part...AWESOME... I knew someone would have the answer... Thanks for taking some time for me...

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote