Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:03 PM   #1

I did a few basic adjusts to some pictures in PSP x . I did accept and stuff like that then saved as: to a folder I made . I was happy with the looks ( while viewing the changes I made )but then after viewing them in the folder I created they are too light and nothing like the images I saved. I took a few and printed them and they are too light also. Can you possible tell me what I did wrong? Did I not do something before saving them ? Still a newbie so please bare with me. Are there any easy steps to post processing that will help a newbie out ?

I still have originals on the card so thats good.

Thanks, Darrell

sc_radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:08 AM   #2

Just so I am undestanding you correctly. You took some pictures from your digital camera and edited them in PSP X. Everything looked fine and you saved them into a folder. Now when you open them, they look washed out or too bright. Is that correct?

If so, I have a question for you. When you viewed the photos after saving them, did you use PSP to view them or a different program? If you used something different then it is possible that PSP uses some color profiles that the other viewing program does not use. Also, when you printed them what program did you use?

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:51 AM   #3

Dave you are correct on the understanding. I saved them to a folder I created and viewed them with Windows Picture and fax viewer. I took the pictures from the created folder and burnt them to a disk and them had them printed. Can I save to a disk from PSP instead of saving to a folder ? I have a good camera ( Canon 20d ) and I have seen the pictures it takes . I just need to learn how to post process them now. I still have alot to learn using the camera also. Thanks for the reply.

Darrell
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:05 AM   #4

You are correct, the 20D takes some amazing photos. Are you shooting RAW images or in JPG mode?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have not used PSP in a while but I don't think you can burn to a CD with it. Besides that, saving to a folder or to a CD would give the same results. I would try opening the images into PSP instead of the Windows viewer, I find that pictures will look completely different in the viewer.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The only reason that I can come up with for the printed pictures is that your monitor is not calibrated, which can result in many problems to include the lightness you are seeing. If you are familiar with calibration then you know what I mean, if not, doa search in these forums or even Yahoo or Google for monitor calibration. Basically, what you see on screen is not the way it is going to print.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dave
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:46 AM   #5

I believe that PSP X installs with Color Management ON as the default. Find it under the File Menu and turn it OFF, and see if this helps.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:16 AM   #6

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
Just so I am undestanding you correctly. You took some pictures from your digital camera and edited them in PSP X. Everything looked fine and you saved them into a folder. Now when you open them, they look washed out or too bright. Is that correct?
Yes the pictures looked washed out and too bright and even the same look when I went to print them. I burnt a disk from the folder I saved the post processed pictures to. I will try to explain again incase I have confussed anybody including myself.

Opened PSP X

In PSP X I opened the picture

Adjusted, Applied ( picture was what I wanted it to look like now )

Saved as : Jpeg in folder I created ( folder was created in my documents )

Went to folder in my documents

Pictures were washed out. ( nothing like the good look I had saved in PSP X )

Burned disk from folder in my documents ( carried disk to check prints)

Prints was washed out ( no were near the photo I saved as : from psp)

I shoot jpeg since I am a newbie.

Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7

My best guess would be your monitor needs to be calibrated. This can be done using either a hardware (best way) or software. With hardware you put a sensor on your monitor and answer some questions and when it's done, your monitor should be calibrated. (What you see is what you print). You can also use software that will ask questions and also ask you to adjust settings to meet certain criteria. When you are done, it should be pretty close to what you need.

I believe Kalypso posted a link to a simple monitor calibration program but I can't remember. Just do a search on Yahoo for Free Monitor Calibration.

Although you call yourself a newbee, you should still check out RAW. True, the files are a lot larger, but you ahve total control over them after you load them into your computer. The biggest problem there is that you really need to have a calibrated monitor.

One last thing. Since you are using JPG then the pictures coming out of the camera should be pretty dead on for color and brightness. Try to either print one directly from the camera (no editing) and see how it looks. As a matter of fact, you said you still have the pics on the card, try to print a few of those and compare them to what you edited. If they come out good, then Calibration is the culprit.

Dave