Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:19 PM   #1

I am having a problem with Photoshop and Microsoft Image Suite. I have severall matted picture frames with an 11 x 14 inch opening. When I try to print in the center of 13 x 19 inch paper to fit the dimensions of the frame opening I have a problem. The left and right margins of 2.5" that I put in are fine. But no matter what I do the top and bottom margins never come out. Since I want an 11" picture I program in a top and bottom margin of an inch on each side. When the picture prints out it always prints with a 1 3/4" margin on each side so when I try to mount the pictures I have a big white space on each side.

Can anyone help? Is there a printing program that lets you specify whatever margins you want? Is there something I am doing in Microsoft Image Suite or Adobe Photoshop CS2? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Tonyyv49
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:21 AM   #2

Tony,

I will have to check Photoshop when I get home but until then I havea question. What printer are you using to print? I know some printers have a minimum margin required that the printer will not print to. This may not be the case here, but it's a thought.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:44 AM   #3

dont know if this would work but make a 13x19 new document in photoshop and then make a new 11x14 and colour it black, cut and paste the 11x14 into 13x19 and it should be perfectly centered, that will give u a template to overlay images onto and save them to print off.

thats how id do it, then as long as you have paper size set correctly when u print it should be fine
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4

Dave,

I have the Canon i9900. It can accept up to 13x19" paper.

Tony
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:48 AM   #5

I would do it a little differently in Photoshop – especially if you might do more than one print.

File > New. Set the size to 13 X 19 inches with the same PPI you use for your photo – probably 300. RGB color and white background.

View > New Guide. Make horizontal guides at 1 and 12 inches. Make vertical guides at 2.5 and 16.5 inches. Check "Snap" Save the file for future use.

Drag your 11 X 14 image into the center and it will snap perfectly into place. Make sure the PPI is the same for both. If your photo ends up at 187 PPI and you don't want to resample just make the new file 187 PPI. You can check the PPI of your 11 X 14 image with Image > Image Size. Probably the easiest thing to do is to check "Resample" and set your PPI to 300 for resolution in the "Image Size" box, making sure the 11 X 14 document size doesn't change. It doesn't matter as long as the new file and image have the same resolution.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:23 PM   #6

What is the size of the image you are trying to fit? In particular is the long/short ratio 1.2727... (=14/11)? If it isn't, you will have to do some cropping to make it fit.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:02 PM   #7

I am trying to print an 11x14" picture in the center of 13x19" paper. I want to mount the picture in a matted frame with an opening of 11x14".

Tony
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:26 PM   #8

I use Photoimpact, and the print driver has settings to center image both vertically and horizontally. This is what I woud use for your task. I haven't used PS CS, but I have printed with Elements, and seem toremember it being very similar.

brian

edit: I checked Elements, and there is a check box to center the image, so if your photo has the correct size and resolution, all you would have to do is check the box.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote