Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:53 PM   #1
Edh

Is there a way to crop a part of a 5x7 photo and have the cropped part when printed come out to be a 5x7 print ? I saw a tutorial as follows Go to Select click All--- Insiside the selectiod click and move the Transform to the part of the selection you wand to crop. Press Enter -- Go to Image Crop and Than Select -- Deselect. This is supposed to and does retain the original size but when I print it , it was supposed to print 5x7 but it doesn't. I don't know if I am reading it right but it prints at the crop size. Thanks Ed
Edh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:54 PM   #2

Yes.

To answer SPECIFICALLY your cropping question using CS2 ... choose the crop tool and up top on the crop tool settings bar choose type in 5" and 7". Then crop. It will automatically be 5x7 or whatever size you choose.

Personally, though, I do not understand the printing part of your question ... all the printing software I have and use allows me to specify whatever size, say 5x7, and it then enlarges/shrinks any size/dpi phototo that size (assuming porportions are correct, otherwise the image may not fill or may slightly overfill the 5x7 space).And in CS2 you can choose the print size depending on your printer, and click the "scale to fit media" box. Works great. Am I missing something in your question?
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3

When you print, what size is it printing? The tutorial you have seems quite complex, more so than necassary.

The above cropping advise should work with no problems. Another method is this.

Click the Rectangular Marquee tool. In the Style box choose Fixed Aspect Ration. Then fill in the Height and Width boxes with 5 x 7 as needed. Then just make the selection of the crop you want to make. Then go to Image-->Crop.

I believe this method was used with older versions of Photoshop that didn't allow you to adjust the resolution during cropping.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:42 AM   #4
Edh

The method I had in my question was using the Transform selection which kept the width and height in perspective. Using the crop tool you can increase the height or width so that it would not fit inside a 5x7 and keep the same perspective. As far as the printing goes I know you can set it to print anysize you want but the way I undestand the tutorial when you were done cropping all you had to do is hit print and the cropped portion of the image would print as a 5x7. I may have read the tutorial wrong. Here is the web page that I found it. Maybe you can figure it out.

www.designsbymark.com
On the right hand side you have to sign in. When you do in the left column go to Keep Aspect While Cropping. See what you make of it. Thanks Ed
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:32 PM   #5

The way I told you will maintain aspect ratio, and more. Suggest that you read this easy-to-follow tutorialwhich explores both methods: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=34567.

Each has its own benefits. Personally, I use the crop tool 95% of the time. Quick, accurate, and effective.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:56 PM   #6
Edh

Thanks hgernhardtjr I appreciate your taking the time to help me and I like the tutorials you referred me to. THANKS edh
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:20 PM   #7

Couple of ways to do it but the simplest way is select the crop tool
See Sample 1 for your 5x7 just change the numbers to 5 & 7

To resize:

Method #1 See Sample 1
Go to the Crop Tool enter 6 in width and 4 height and Resolution 300
crop your image to were you want. This will give you a 4x6 image @ 300 dpi.

Other methods are available but these are the common recommended methods for resizing.

Attached Images

jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 12:07 PM   #8

Hi
Just to add to JT's excellent advice, the little button between 'Width' and 'Height' changes the crop from Landscape to Upright (often missed!).

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:06 AM   #9

Great idea to post up a screen grab.. always help!
Yazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 5:19 PM   #10

Ahh, Thats how its done.....

As a newbie myself armed with PS I found the marquee tool to edit my photos, but if you could only imagine how many subjects end up with missing ears or flat heads :lol:
staffy is offline   Reply With Quote