Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:14 PM   #1

A friend has a Panasonic camcorder, pvgs12. She takes still photos from it and wants to enter photos in a contest. The contest says she must have exif data in order to be eligible. We cannot find it on her photos.

Does a camcorder not register exif data with still photos?

Would appreciate any comments regarding this.

Thank you very much!
onthegoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:17 PM   #2

I know some do and I believe yours does ... but you need software that can read the exif data (I think it is 2.2 compliance with the PVGS12 Panasonic). Transfer the photo to your computer. If you are using Windows XP and you hover your cursor over the file thumbnail it should tell you what camera took it, etc. If it does, you have EXIF data.

Or you could download Exifer http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/and once the image is on the computer useEXIFER to read the exif info (or confirm it is there).

Hope this helps.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3

Hello - Thank you. I was able to get her to send me a photo, and pulled it up in my photoshop7 workspace. Clicked on "file" and then "EXIF" This is what came up:

Make: Panasonic
Model: PV-GS12
Orientation - Normal
x resolution 120.0
y resolution 120.0
Resolution Unit - inches
Date 2006:04:20 23:27:42
yCbCr Positioning Centered
Exif Version 0220
Date Time Original 2006:04:20 21:37:28
Date Time Digitized 2006:04:20 21:37:28
Components Configuration Unknown
Compressed Bits Per Pixel 3.1
Flash Undefined Value
Flash Pix Version 0100
EXIF Color Space sRGB
Pixel x Dimension 480
Pixel y Dimension 640

So is this what is considered to be 'good' EXIF data? If in a photo contest, does it meet the criteria, even tho' there is no aperture / shutter information? Remember, she uses a CAMCORDER, not a digital camera.

I've suggested she save $$$ and purchase a digital camera soon.

Thank you for your help...
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:17 AM   #4

Yes, that is the EXIF data and, for the purposes of the contest,it should remain within the image file and not be removed.

It has been some time since I used PS7 (I use CS2 which provides all sorts of file info) and do not offhandremember for sure if7 displays all the possible EXIF data. Also, some cameras (P&S too) simply do not record all the possible EXIF data.

Not knowing the contest rules, I can not answer your question, but I would hazard a guess that they would not disqualify simply because certain pieces of info were not recorded by the camera ... it is another thing if you modify that data, though. Perhaps others have some first-hand contest info that would help you.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

Thank you very much! Your answer(s) are appreciated.