Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 11, 2006, 10:13 PM   #1

Hi all!

I am getting more into PSE4, and I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

1. I'm thinking I want to have the files not take up the entire 17 megs per photo... because my hard drive will fill up FAST. Should I resize the photo? If so, to what should I resize them? I've been normally just making the photo 4x6, but they'll still be over six megs. Any advice?

2. Is there a way to resize a batch of photos? So after I upload them from my SD card, I can resize all of the new photos? Or do I have to do this one at a time? Should I even resize (see question 1 above)?

Thanks for your help!

Ted
TedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 11:58 PM   #2

If they are 17Mb/photo you are probably having the camera take them as TIFF files. IMO you would be much better off taking them as best quality JPG and keeping the full sized file.

TIFF is an impractical format for digital cameras. If your camera takes raw that is a better format. Not only is it better than TIFF with a greater color depth and more options, raw makes a smaller file. And some cameras buffer raw, but most non-DSLRs have long lag times with TIFF.

If the files are coming from the camera as JPG and you are automatically converting them to TIFF – DON'T. They aren't any better than the JPGs you convert them from and they take a lot of space. If you work on a file "Save as" a loseless format like TIFF but keep the original JPG as well – it is your digital negative.

I wouldn't resize the files. If they are in TIFF format and are taking too much space I would convert them to best quality JPGs. You won't see the difference and you will have the full sized images for the future should you ever want more from them than a shapshot.

I'm not familiar with Elements. You can do batch operations in Photoshop. I do most of my batch work in Irfanview. You can bulk resize, rename and bulk save as another file type.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 1:35 AM   #3

What camera are you using? That is a very large file size and I agree that it sounds like a TIFF instead of JPG. As said above, set the camera to the largest JPG setting and that will decrease the file size by probably half. If you still think they are too large then you can do 1 of a few things.

1. Set the camera to take a smaller file size (not recommended, you can always decrease the quality but you can't increase it)

2. Buy a larger hard drive and fill it up.

3. Once the images are on the computer. Back up the full size images to a CD and keep the smaller ones on the computer.

I use a Canon 5D in RAW and the images are about 12MB each. I back those up to a CD and also to an external hard drive ( I don't trust storage, redundancy is key).

As for your batch question, I can't recall is Elements has a batch resize option or not. If not, there are some free programs that will do it. I belive irfanview will batch resize, check it out here http://www.irfanview.com

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 6:18 AM   #4

As mentioned, Irfanview is very capable and will do what you require. But if you do resize, then yes, you can batch resize in Elements 4. Along with a handful of various auto adjustments.

File > Process Multiple Files.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 8:10 AM   #5

Thanks all for answering!

I am using a Nikon D50... and the settings (at least the menu says) that it's set to JPG Fine... and the Image Size is set to (L)arge... should I have that set to (M)edium instead? Or (S)mall?

I don't see an option even on there for TIFF... unless JPEG Fine is another name for TIFF?

Here are the options I see for Image Quality:

NEF (Raw)

JPEG Fine

JPEG Normal

JPEG Basic

NEF+JPEG Basic

I'm thinking perhaps having it set to (L)arge is the wrong thing to do!

Sorry for the dumb questions... I'm still learning.

Thanks so much!

Ted
Old May 12, 2006, 8:19 AM   #6

Okay, I've tried to process multiple files but each time I do, my PSE4 locks up... and says "Not responding". I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old May 12, 2006, 10:39 AM   #7

2 things ld like to say, firstly id allways take pics at the best setting your camera would do or its silly to have a quality one !, dont worry about hard drive filling up there not really expensive, or u could get a dvd burner £30, disks 20p and archive pics to dvd.

if u make them smaller and get rid or the large original u cant make the small one big again with same quality so hang on to the big pics :-)

the locking up sounds like ur pc is trying to process too much info and ur system is out of memory (ram), do them in smaller batches, dunno how much ram u have but i got 1gig and still run out from time to time editing and general use

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 6:59 PM   #8

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your advice (as always!)... maybe I will keep the larger photos.

Should I then have the settings to JPEG Fine and then (L)argest?

I can always rename them to DSC001large, DSC001fourbysix, etc That's what I have been doing, anyway.

Old May 14, 2006, 4:55 AM   #9

Ted

id shoot at highest setting ur happy with, i dont make my shots smaller except for posting on the web, i allways print from the big pic i originaly shot, never normaly print less than a4 anyway :-)

when u make the small images though it may be more helpfull to also make a folder within the folder called 6x4 and pop em all in there, just to organise it a bit more

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote