Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 14, 2006, 2:21 AM   #1

I am trying to learn photoshop mainly for personal use. I got a ad today in the mail for a one day class (6 session) to learn photoshop. It is a 6 hour class at a nice Hotel. The price is not disclosed and I would have to contact them for the price.

My question is, is it really possible to learn photoshop in ONE DAY(6 hours)? I dont expect to become an expert in one day but will a one day session give you enough ground to take off on your own by reading books.

I dont know how much it cost, but I expect it should be around $80-$100 per day for all 6 session. Is that a reasonable price?

I consider myself a quick learner and I think that I can do it, but then again I have no idea on how much stuff I need to learn or how much stuff they will cram in one day. I dont want to go and get more confused and waste my money because they went to fast.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 4:47 AM   #2

i think your price guess will be out a bit, id expect it to be more

why not do like most people do including myself, do a search on google or yahoo for "photoshop help" or "photoshop tutorials" and browse the many sites what come up and follow a few tutorials, its easyer if u print some of them out.

they may not show exactly what ur wanting to learn but it will give u insite into what the software can do and u will learn techniques that will come in sooner or later.

Gary

forgot to answer your question, its possible to learn something in 6 hours, but not how it works fully, i been using it for about 6 years and still learning, i think the course will familiarise u with the software

is there not a photoshop for dummies or photoshop in 24 hours book available?

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3

I read Sams Teach Yourself Photoshop CS2 in 24 hours and it relaly helped me learn the basics of what Photoshop has to offer. As for learning Photoshop, I don't think anyone will ever know everything about Photoshop, not even Scott Kelly.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I would think that in a 6 session course you will either be shown the Photoshop basics or probably some tutorials to get you started. You can find this kind of thing available for free on the web and if you would like to learn by watching, then try out Photoshop TV. They put out a weekly show that can be downloaded for free and they show several different things for Photographers, web designers and whatever else they can think of. It's put out by Scott Kelly who really knows his Photoshop.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I recommend getting a book about the basics to teach yourself the tools and features then look for other books that are more geared towards your need, (ie. Photography). Also, look on the web for tutorials. You can learn a lot from doing a tutorial and it will help you see what does what and why.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 8:00 PM   #4

I agree with headhunter66: PhotoShop covers so many different things I also doubt that anyone knows everything it does. That means you should look carefully at what is being taught at that "class". Are you interested in web design issues? Inserting fancy text? Preparing things for Adobe Acrobat? ... If you are interested in taking a class, you might find one at a local school or college.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 9:20 PM   #5

I am not really intrested in web design like creating art and stuff like that. I am more intrested in restoring old photos and fixing them or changing something in my picture from my digital camera.

If the price is anything over $100, the question is out for me. I've been seaching around and getting help from online page. I will admit I did learn some stuff from it, but I wish someone would just teach me. :?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6

ahh if all u want to do is to fix and adjust photos thatll be easyer as u wont need to know nowhere near as much

what u need to find out if that course is aimed at photography or graphics, if its graphics itll be not much use to you

showing what to do is ok but u still have to go through the motions and understand what ur doing and why

lynda.com and total training both do video tutorials, but they are to pay for

http://www.totaltraining.com/prod/di...oto.asp?mscsid= thats a link to a video that im sure sums up what your wanting to know, i have used total training guides and they are very very good, its $49.99

other than that u could try searching specificly for video tutorials for digital photography/ digital imaging, or just normal text tutorials, then u just need to practice and practice
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 2:43 PM   #7

Best thing I ever did was join the NAPP which is the National Association of Photoshop Professionals. It costs $99.00 per year and for that fee You will recieve A great Magizine with a lot of Tips and things you can do in Photoshop you never knew was possible. Also free tuterials and Discounts on DVD's and Books. If You are a member and but from B & H you will recieve free shipping on anything you buy. It is a pretty good deal for Photoshop users everywhere.

Go to http://www.photoshopuser.comand check them out.

Ronnie:|
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote