Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 16, 2006, 9:53 AM   #1

Yesterday I downloaded Microsoft's Digital Image Editor free startup edition. I worked on one image yesterday and today, repeatedly opening and saving the image in TIFF file format only. I never save JPEG's because of degradation. I just open and then close themwithout saving. I also tend to avoid opening them and use TIFF files as much as possible.

Despite these precautions, after a day of working on one very difficult image, I now have brown mush instead of the wonderful photo I started with. AndALL the files, all copies in all folders, whether they were modified and saved or not, associated withthis image are affected, JPEG or TIFF, all showing exactly the same degree of degradation!

Has anybody heard of this? I used Adobe PS on this image file without any such problem.

Basically, my photo is completely ruined, and it is irreplacable. My bad fornot saving to external media, but who would anticipate that ALL copies in all folders would be afffected, even the ones that had been closed without saving!
digiduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 1:25 PM   #2

I've never heard of that happening, especially to images that were closed, unless it is a virus. Have you checked all of your other images to make sure they were not affected also?

If you could, post an image that is affected.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 3:58 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I ran a virus check as soon as I noticed the problem. I have the very latest and updated full version of the entire McAfee Security Package. It is on all the time. No virus was detected. And yes, ALL my image files have been affected. Only those on an area of the computer with restricted access remain untouched. See examples attached.

Pix1 is a web-sized copy of the originalUNTOUCHED JPEG of the TIFF file I worked on extensively in Microsoft Digital Image Editor Startup Edition . Pix1 was never even opened into any editiing program. As you can see, the originalis ruined with a brown cast, despite never being worked on at all in any editing program. All my pictures are washed out now. And now each time I open an image file, the picture just seems to get worse.

Pix2 is a copy of the same file as a work in progress that was saved on a CD prior to installing MS Digital Editor. But even that seems to have degraded just by opening it in MS Office Picture Manager to reduce it for this post!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I noticed a degradation while I was using MS DIgital Editor, but I didn't realise the full extent of the problem until later. I have uninstalled the program, but I think I may have to reset my entire system back to it's configuration of a few days ago and hope this will solve the problem! I'm not sure I can save any of the images.

Attached Images

Old May 16, 2006, 4:06 PM   #4

I tried to post two images, but I guess you can't. The image in the last post was the one saved on CD. This image is the original untouched JPEG file that was deeply affected after I installed MS Digital Editor, even though I never opened it in this program! THe version that I worked on was a TIFF file of the same image, located in a different folder on my computer. It looks just as bad, if not worse.
Attached Images