Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 18, 2006, 8:55 AM   #1

Hi all!

I have the opportunity to purchase PS CS2 through a discount software website for teachers for the price of about $285...

I currently own PS Elements 4.0 and pretty happy with it.

My concerns are that the reviews on Amazon.com about CS2 say that CS2 crashes a lot and runs SUPER SLOW.

Anybody have this experience? Perhaps it was a bug in an earlier version that was fixed?

Thanks for any input.

Ted
TedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 10:29 AM   #2
DBB

TedM wrote:
Quote:
Hi all!

I have the opportunity to purchase PS CS2 through a discount software website for teachers for the price of about $285...

I currently own PS Elements 4.0 and pretty happy with it.

My concerns are that the reviews on Amazon.com about CS2 say that CS2 crashes a lot and runs SUPER SLOW.

Anybody have this experience? Perhaps it was a bug in an earlier version that was fixed?

Thanks for any input.

Ted
If your computer is three years old or newer AND you have at least 750 Megs of memory, it will run fast enough - probably slower than elements...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 10:48 AM   #3

FWIW, CS2 has never crashed or locked up my machine(s) ... follow Dave's advice but I might go one step further ... as much memory and as fast a processor as possible! My daughter's computer Celeron chipworked, but s*l*o*w*e*r than molasses flowing uphill in January. Athalon 64 with 512mb and a 160GB HD, zero problems. Added more memory and a second HD (for scratch) and it FLIES!!!!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4

My set up is by no means super fast or up to date at all, but I don't have any problems with CS2 other than the occasional filter that uses a lot of resources, but then much faster "than molasses flowing uphill in January" !!

AMD 2.8 Barton core, 1 gig memory 200 gig drive with a secondary drive for the scratch disk (same speed as master drive).

Anything above that and quite a lot below it will cut the mustard !!

Ideally you will want a squillion gig of memory, quad processors (?) running at 20 gigahertz, 47 x 50,000 rpm hard drives and a reliable coffee machine to hand

That's if you search out the optimum set ups around the web

Oh, and never crashed
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 12:07 PM   #5

You have to be careful whose opinions you read about Photoshop running slow. The people who have responded obviously know their stuff, but some people don't have the hardware and especially the RAM to process large images in Photoshop. Once you run out of RAM Photoshop has to revert to virtual memory, which uses the hard drive as RAM. You shift immediately into the slow lane when that happens. But with a decent amount of RAM and a reasonably fast processor I don't find Photoshop particularly slow. It does take the program some time to open, so you don't want it as your default viewer.

I've been using Photoshop for over ten years since version 3 and have yet to have problems with it crashing. It is a good idea to keep whatever version you use updated. When Adobe finds a problem and fixes it they pass the fix on to you with updates.

You want a Gig of RAM to work on large images. By large images I mean full sized images from a modern camera. You can get by with 512Mb with images from your 6Mp camera if you don't have too much open and going on at once. But if your are putting that much money into Photoshop you would do well to upgrade your RAM if you are below a Gig. You can actually run yourself out of RAM with a Gig on the machine and more is better, but that won't happen often.

You also do better with a second fast hard drive to put the scratch disk on. Things run faster if you have the scratch disk on a drive different from the drive running Photoshop. That isn't as important as sufficient RAM. You should also increase the allocation of RAM to Photoshop. The default is too low.

I would think Elements would require the same amount of RAM and work at about the same speed as Photoshop for a given image size and the same filters and processes. That is just a guess though as I don't have Elements.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 12:31 PM   #6

Okay... I'm not that computer literate... but I believe I have the following:

Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU 3.00 GhZ

3 GB of RAM

And I believe a 70 GB Raptor Drive for my C: drive... with 45 GB free.

So I think I'm okay...

Now I just need to decide whether I want to shell out about $300 for CS2!

Thanks to everybody who replied... I value your opinions.

Edit: Slipe, what did you mean "scratch disk" and how do I go about allocating more RAM to certain applications? As I said... I'm not that literate...but I'm learning!

Old May 18, 2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Administrator

I don't know about Elements. But, PSCS2 has some options that will allow you to better allocate resources.

If you look under Edit, Preferences, you'll see category for Plugins and Scratch Disks (so you can point it towards a different drive if desired for temporary disk space), as well as a category for Memory and Image Cache (where you can specify how much RAM PS is allowed to use).

See if you've got a Help, System Info choice with Elements. If so, it will tell you what kind of processor is being detected, RAM allocated and much more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 3:17 PM   #8

TedM, you will be surprised how quickly that 45Gig will fill up with images once you get going !

You have a more than capable system to handle CS2 relatively comfortably.

The Scratch Disk comes into play when Photoshop runs out of Ram to perform the tasks you set it. When this happens PS will use some of the hard drive as Virtual memory to compensate. To avoid potential conflicts with Windows' own Paging file, it is preferable to have the scratch diskon a separate drive, (ideally of the same speed), as Slipe pointed out.

Again, as Slipe said, this is generally not as good as having more Ram, but you have 3 Gig so you should be fine.

Follow the path JimC gave you to alter the default settings. I usually have the memory available to PS set to 70%.

The only decision you now have it seems, is should you shell out for CS2.

If you can afford it, then yes. It is well worth it !!
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 4:42 PM   #9

Hi Steve,

Thanks for such a polite response.

Yes, I don't plan on keeping my images on the 45gb. That's just for applications. I have a 250gb and then another 400gb (just for photos).

I'll definitely take your advice about the scratch drive... I'll need to print out this thread to remember!

P.S. Thanks, Jim, for the help!

Edit: I almost forgot... I already purchased it after you all gave me a seal of approval. I couldn't pass up that deal.

Nice to know we teachers get SOME good things besides summer months! *grin*