Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 19, 2006, 6:35 AM   #1

No matter what high grade camera I have used... some of my family's hair textures change when having to reduce photo's to small size...

How come? I have used several programs with the same end results. See pic for example.

Thank u!!

debby

My favorite free program I use is Lview Pro for changing sizes... thats the one i used this time...
Attached Images

learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 10:57 AM   #2

All programs handle things differently when resizing and saving jpg files downloaded the one you said you like Lview Pro and tested it and it didn't do well as far as I'm concerned..
But for best results no matter which program your using make sure its set to bicubic.
Also just what size are resizing to?
If you like I'd like to resize one as your doing and send it back so you can compare to see if its the program or something your dong on your end.
If you like email an original file.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:15 AM   #3

Hey Jt..

I would love for you to fix it. I would like to use it for my photo here. Its my granddaughter's pic I took with my new Nikon D50 and Im tired of seeing my image when I post lol.

As you can see Im in the learning mode on doing much in digital work. I'll read up on bicubic and maybe that will help. I would very much appreciate you fixing my g.daughters pic so I can use it here.. thanks sooo much for just replying!!!

debby

btw... nice website. going to join ur newsletter.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4

Debby,

It looks like the photo is just being sized down and maintaining the same pixel count. So the pixels are being crunched together and that's why you get that look. Whenever you resize, you have to ensure that the actual pixels are changed as well. There are a couple of good programs available for free.

I've heard good things about irfanview and fotofilter. What software package came with your Nikon?

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:55 AM   #5

MMMMM i had to send my 10day old D50 back and waiting on a new one (story in another thread) lol. I never downloaded the software that came with it. Was waiting till after a wedding shoot (just friend of a friend ...no pressure joebob kinda hick sorta wedding) so that I could try the trial period software in the wedding date time frame.

I have Adobe but dont use it alot. Im usually simple minded and in the past just went for "user friendly"modes like picasa, Lview Pro, I have some others I use for certain things. Anyway, I will download these you suggested: irfanview and fotofilterand buckle down on trying to understand alittle more about pixels and the otherbells and whistles on these programs.

That crunch pixels had me baffled and had askedhere at the school I work for..but no one here knew why it did that when reducing.... Thank youDave for taking time to writeand help me in my learning_mode!

debby
Old May 19, 2006, 12:01 PM   #6

Can you email me the original and let me know how large you wanted it.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 12:12 PM   #7

If you have Picasa, that should work also. I have Photoshop but really like to use Picasa for quick work like resizing.

Glad to try and help out.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 12:14 PM   #8

hey Jt..

welp i send some to info@ if thats ok? will ya with yer expert eye pick the best one and then when I get home I'll send u the orignal?

as for size.. I just wanted to change my profile pic here in steves forumto i think its 200X200.

debby
Old May 19, 2006, 12:21 PM   #9

Dave...:Gi love using picasa when im reducing pics from original to a size to print err is it 3x4but i haven't ever dropped used picasa to bring it to a small size like 200x200 manual mode.... grrrr

i am too lazy by nature:!: I wanna ask you a question but Ill first wait and get home on my computer and see if i can figure out how to do it in picasa before I show much more of my ignorance here... still love the headsup on the other two programs. will download and play with them when I get home.

:|debby