Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 23, 2006, 3:11 PM   #1

I have just got hold of a Nikon D50 and have until now been perfectly content to use Picasa for file storage and minor editing. When it comes to RAW files I know that Picasa can accept them, but does it allow me to make the modifications such as adjusting White Balance?

There is an option called Color Temperature, but this is available in JPEGs as well as RAW. Is that the same as changing the white balance?

eeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 7:59 AM   #2

I use Picasa for browsing since it does show RAW files, but you can't beat an actual RAW converter. I don't know if your Nikaon came with one (I heard you had to buy it from Nikon) but you could try out Raw Shooter Essentials. It's a free converter that has a lot of options for your RAW files.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 8:02 AM   #3

Thanks Dave,

I'll gice that a go. Nikon do provide a RAW converter, but it is a 30 day trial only. The full product costs about £100(!).

Will Photoshop Elements do the job?
Old May 25, 2006, 1:20 PM   #4

To be honest, I couldn't find information on whether or not Elements will edit RAW files. I did see that you could convert your RAW files to DNG (Adobe Digital Negative File) which is supposed to be a universal RAW file so more applications can read them without the hassle of having the right versions.

It would be worth a try. I shoot RAW with a Canon 5D and I have started converting to DNG. The files are slightly smaller and the metadata is easier to manipulate within the file.

Hope this helps,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 10:03 AM   #5

Thanks,

I am aware that Picasa will allow me to look at/play with .NEF files, but I was wondering if it allows any of the white balance/exposure adjustments of a proper RAW converter. The options seem to be the same whther you look at JPEGs or RAW files.

I have downloaded Rawshooter Essentials and I am converted - it's RAW all the way for me. No need to understand White Balance, just shoot away and do your adjustments in the PC!
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:42 AM   #6
lau

As far as i know, Nikon's policy was to encrypt the white balance data in order to sell their software, so with other available programs the management of .nef files is limited.
About how Picasa worked for me with a .nef file: http://www.photoaxe.com/index.php?tag=picasa
lau is offline   Reply With Quote