Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 23, 2006, 6:56 PM   #1

I am looking for a good digital noise reduction software like Noise Ninja or Neat Image. My question is:

What is available in this category and are there any comparison reviews available for them? I would like to read comparison reviews on them before getting one.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 9:07 AM   #2
DBB

harana wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for a good digital noise reduction software like Noise Ninja or Neat Image. My question is:

What is available in this category and are there any comparison reviews available for them? I would like to read comparison reviews on them before getting one.
Good, you named Noise Ninja, Neat Image - Add Noiseware Professional to your list, and you have the three best programs, any one of which stand head and shoulders above the others.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 12:38 PM   #3

DBB wrote:
Quote:
harana wrote:
Quote:

Good, you named Noise Ninja, Neat Image - Add Noiseware Professional to your list, and you have the three best programs, any one of which stand head and shoulders above the others.

Dave
Thanks for the information. Do you know of any reviews of these 3 programs?

I am still very new to all this so I have a dumb question:

Do you run your digital photo through noise reduction software before you do any other touch up using Photoshop or afterwords for best results???
Old May 24, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4

harana wrote:

Do you run your digital photo through noise reduction software before you do any other touch up using Photoshop or afterwords for best results???

User info' on Neat Image says that it doesn't really matter. You are advised to apply noise reduction before you apply sharpening, the logic being that you don't want to sharpen the noise.

Neat Image, and, I believe, Noise Ninja have free versions that you can try out.

There is at least one very good site where a photographer used a few of his images to test out about a dozen noise removal programs. It was quite comprehensive but I have no idea what the address was. Maybe a Google safari on some likely terms will turn it up.

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 11:56 PM   #5

I came up with this for a url for comparisons.

http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise.htm

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 1:02 PM   #6

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
I came up with this for a url for comparisons.

http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise.htm

brian

Thanks Brian. Good information! Maybe Ishould go with Noise Ninja.

Grant, I remember that particular review too but can't find it. May be someone else can help us with it. I vaguely remember that comparison concluded that Neat Image was the best butI am not sure.

How good is noise reduction in Photoshop? I have Photoshop 7.0. Would you recommend that I get Noise Ninja as it does better job than Photoshop?
Old May 30, 2006, 8:29 AM   #7

I have used NeatImage and NoiseWare. I have only used them in their default configurations. NeatImage always over-softens the images when i use it, but NoiseWare does a great job. I've stopped using NeatImage.

If you are interested in really learning these programs, there's tremendous flexibilty available. But there is also a steep learning curve. I just want to run an image that needs to be cleaned up through the app using the defaults (I select the type of image for NoiseWare, but that's it.) If you're like me, and don't want to invest the same effort into noise reduction software that you invest in learning PhotoShop, make sure that any comparison of the applications is based on the presets and not on "master class" control of the app.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:18 AM   #8

I find that noise reduction is like everything else in image editing. You get out of it what you put into it. Most of us don't use one click default fixes for anything else in image editing and I don't find noise reduction any different.

At minimum you would want to run profiles for particular cameras at various ISO settings.

I do much better with a plug-in version compared to a stand alone version. Sometimes specific areas like skies and deep shadows need a lot of noise reduction you wouldn't want to apply to the entire image. I would guess the better noise reduction programs find the edges and eliminate them from the noise reduction, but I still prefer to do that myself.

Noise reduction software can also give that studio effect to portraits. And fix bad skin and even some wrinkles. Noise Ninja does have a history brush that lets you sharpen the eyes etc back up, but it is a lot easier in a good image editor.

There is a general rule in image editing that you sharpen last because you don't want to enhance sharpening artifacts. But until I get the image sharpened properly I don't know how much noise reduction I need. Usually when I am out of step with experts I'm screwing up. But I usually do some sharpening before noise reduction. I shoot soft and always have to do some sharpening anyway. Sometimes it is a matter of spot noise reduction after sharpening or tweaking the sharpening after noise reduction. The two are so interrelated it is hard for me to make a hard and fast rule.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote