Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 30, 2006, 11:12 PM   #1

I am fairly new to digital photography, so my question may seem basic to some of you. I currently have both programs on my computer(trial versions), and I like both of them for different reasons. One feature of Elements I have experimented with and really like is the lasso tool. I have not been able to find a feature comparable in PSP, and wonder if I may be overlooking something obvious. In many respects, they are both excellent programs for "beginners" to digital like myself. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 1:19 AM   #2

You definately have 2 good pieces of software to work with. I have treid Elements and I do like how it is set up for the new user. It offers a lot of what it's big brother offers but at a fraction of the cost. A photographer I know has both Elements and Photoshop CS but chooses to work with Elements. I have tried Paint Shop Pro in many of it's earlier versions and have always liked the bang for the buck. As for a lasso tool, I am pretty sure there is an equivelant there but I just can't recall what it is.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you ever plan on upgrading to Photoshop CS2, then sticking with Elements will give you a firm start. If Photoshop CS2 isn't in the future, than I think Paint Shop Pro offers the best of both worlds by offering the simple basic interface and tools along with a lot of the advanced features that you can find in more expensive programs.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good luck with it but be carefull, this stuff is addictive.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:10 AM   #3

Dave,

Thanks for your answer. I intend to eventually keep only one of these, and after playing around with psp-x again, I have pretty much decided to get photoshop Elements 4.0, my computer runs faster with it than psp. Anyway, if I get good enough at post-processing I may actually get brave enough to post some pics...:lol:

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote