Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:45 PM   #1

Tried using Iphoto which doesn't let me organize photos into directories.*Used to using Picasa on the PC.Is there software comparible to Picasa available for the MAC?Thank you muchly?-- Terry*
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:02 PM   #2
Administrator

Google just released Picasa for Linux (running under a run time version of Wine). Initial reports indicate that it works quite well.

But, I see no evidence (so far) that they're going after the Mac platform.

I did find some users indicating that Picasa runs fine under Parallel's desktop emulators. So, you may want to look into that solution:

http://www.parallels.com/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:17 AM   #3

Were you able to find a suitable solution? Recently, I have started exploring changing over to an iMac. I have Photoshop 7.0 yet rarely use it. Picasa has been my primary app for my photo needs and has worked quite good on my PC.

Being on the verge of purchasing the Canon 30D, I am wondering if switching to the iMac world will provide me with a dual learning curve to conquer.
Thanks,
Steve

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Quote:
Tried using Iphoto which doesn't let me organize photos into directories.�Used to using Picasa on the PC.Is there software comparible to Picasa available for the MAC?Thank you muchly?-- Terry�
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:58 AM   #4
Administrator

BrierS wrote:
Quote:

Were you able to find a suitable solution? Recently, I have started exploring changing over to an iMac. I have Photoshop 7.0 yet rarely use it. Picasa has been my primary app for my photo needs and has worked quite good on my PC.
You may want to consider going Linux, too. There are hundreds of distributions to choose from, using a variety of Window managers (Gnome, KDE, IceWM, etc.).

I've got my PC setup so that I can boot into SimplyMEPIS 6.0, Kanotix 2006-easter Release Candidate 4, or MS Windows XP Pro.

Many KDE based distributions include a photo manager called digiKam, which would probably serve nicely as a replacement to Picasa (and there is a version of Picasa that will run under Linux, too). Here are some screen shots from the editor in new beta version of digiKam:

http://www.digikam.org/?q=image/tid/10

I've spent very little time in Windows XP lately, other than for updating the install with the latest critical patches for Windows, virus protection libraries, etc.

You can see some comments from me on Linux solutions in this thread (including a download link for SimplyMEPIS 6.0, which is free, and some tips on installing more fonts, etc.).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=41894

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote