Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:02 AM   #1

I have a photo where the background (audience)detracts from the attention that I would like the subject (a person) to have. What techniques in Elements can improve the situation? (I have*intermediate* skills in Elements.) I tried using blurr to make the background look out of focus, that worked nicely,except there is an amusing glow around the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:11 AM   #2

It would help out if you could post the picture, it's sometimes hard to imagine what it looks like.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:22 AM   #3

I'm not familiar with Elements, but in PhotoShop you can select the audience as a layer (select the singer and invert if that's easier). Assuming that the separation is easy to make -- there are clean, easily magic-wanded edges or the like -- you can adjust the brightness of the audience selectively. Darkening them a bit will push them in the background, and should work well in conjunction with selective blurring to tone down the audience. The main thing is to avoid over-darkening and over-blurring, or the effects will look cartoonish.

ETA: you may need to use the blur tool to trace around the singer to keep him from looking pasted on to the background.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:40 PM   #4

What tclune said. If PSE4 has the Gaussian Blur filter, select your background and use that filter. It gives you a preveiw so that you can see the effect before you apply it.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote