Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:00 PM   #1

I'm looking for a copy of Photoshop without paying $600, is there a way I could get a copy (perhaps an older version) for in the $100-$200 range?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:17 AM   #2

Morag2 writes:

I'm looking for a copy of Photoshop without paying $600, is there a way I could get a copy (perhaps an older version) for in the $100-$200 range?

I don't really know how kosher this is, but I've seen plenty of people on ebay selling older versions of PS -- supposedly licensed -- for less than $100.00.

This is how some people get the latest PS edition cheap. They buy an old version and that qualifies them for the "upgrade," which is a lot cheaper than buying the full version.

There are people selling PS CS2 for a couple hundred dollars! Again, I can't vouch for the legalities involved, or whether it's a scam. Some people might get the CS2 upgrade, copy the result to their own CD and sell it to as many people as pay their price. With a bootlegged copy like this, I doubt that you could get updates or any other kind of support from Adobe.

Do a google safarii and you will find venders in more places than ebay.

If anyone who reads this has bought a copy of PS in this way, how did it turn out?

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:21 AM   #3

You can't just copy Photoshop and sell the copy. It requires verification – I think within a month. If you don't register within that time it stops working. Illegal copies must have the registration hacked so Adobe doesn't check the program.

If you qualify for an academic version I think they are in the $200 range. And if you can get a cheap copy of Elements I understand there is an upgrade to the full Photoshop you can buy in that range.

The best buy if you can get the academic discount is the full suite for less than $400. You get Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, GoLive, Cue and Adobe Bridge along with a free training CD for the entire suite. I'm not a fan of pirated software but I sometimes find ways to get academic versions. http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail.asp?T1=21121033

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:17 AM   #4

I came across the below news story that somewhat addresses the cheap Photoshop rumors, it's a pretty good read.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?t=1872

The upgrade price from Elements to Photoshop is $500 which saves you about $150 of the total cost of Photoshop. Some people have Elements laying around from prior hardware purchases, i think i have version 1 and 2 from cameras and printers I've purchased in the past.

If you read the article below you will bascially find that the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" holds true in the case of cheap software.

If you find that you can absolutely not get by without CS2, then I would say save up until you can get it. Otherwise, you could try different alternatives like Elements or perhaps Paintshop Pro X, which is very powerful software at a fraction of the cost of Photoshop.

Dave

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:28 AM   #5

If Elements will do, Costco (Hawaii)currently has a coupon for $40. $79.99-40=$39.99 + tax which is a great deal. Went today to purchase, but had to settle for a rain check as it didn't get to the store in time. Don't know if other Costco locations are offering a similar deal.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:44 AM   #6

If you want a really cheap alternative, try GIMP or PhotoPlus 6.0:

PhotoPlus can be had at:

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

Don't know the link for the GIMP

Both have many of the features of PS at an affordable price (FREE).
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:04 PM   #7

I downloaded a free copy of Paint Shop Pro 7. Although an older vesion, many of the features were very helpful in getting "up to speed", or somewhat so) with PP. When I checked from the site, it is no longer being offered, but you may get lucky at another site.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:32 PM   #8

If you want Photoshop at a more economical price, don't even think about the most expensive versions. Get a genuine version of Photoshop Elements - preferably Photoshop Elements 2. There are lots on offer in eBay.

Elements 2 offers slightly less control over color balance, but in all other respects it is (in my opinion) pretty well as powerful as the most expensive versions. Add to this that Elements 2 is far more convenient & easy to use.

If you really want the extra control over color balance, I think Photoshop LE - if you can find it - fills the gap fine. I bought my Elements on eBay, and my LE came free with a small Leica Digilux Zoom camera that I bought several years ago.

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote