Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:30 AM   #1

I was wondering if someone could help me with some pics I would like to resize. The pics are from my D50 at 3008x2000, 10.027x6.667, 300ppi. I usually just upload my pics to walmart and always just do 4x6 which is the default ratio for my cam, correct? I would like to start doing some 8x10 of certain pics and would like to get the sharpest looking pics that I can. I have PSE 3.0 and Photoshop 7, so any help in either program would be helpful. Thanks in advanced

Edrod13
Edrod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:23 AM   #2

YOur best bet to get the sharpest images is to leave the image alone as much as possible. If you are shooting RAW then you will have a little more to work with but JPG should be good enough. As for resizing them, you don't want to do too much of that, it will also decrease the resolution. You could just upload them as is but then you are relying on someone else to crop them to 8x10, so you may want to crop them on your own.

You could use the rectangulaer marquee tool in PS and set it to a fixed ratio of 8x10, then make your selection and crop it that way. If you use the crop tool in PS, there is a chance you will crop and also resize the resolution as well so if you aren't sure how to use the crop tool, just use the marquee and then crop the image to that.

Good luck,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:01 PM   #3

Yeah I am shooting JPEG Fine. Whatever the largest possible JPEG the D50 can shoot, as the average size is about 2.8MB each or so. usually I just upload them to walmart and get 4x6, but once in a while I get 5x7 and just let the website adjust them. WhatI plan on doing is that I am going to buy a photo album where I will only put 8x10's of my daughter. Sometimes I feel like the pic could look better if I cropped tighter, but I want to get the best possible resolution. Thats more or less what I want to do, but not sure what method is best in either PS program.

Edrod13
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:55 PM   #4

Edrod13 writes:

Sometimes I feel like the pic could look better if I cropped tighter, but I want to get the best possible resolution. Thats more or less what I want to do, but not sure what method is best in either PS program.

Cropping will not affect the resolution of you pic whether you use the marquee tool or the crop tool. What will affect the level of detail is motion blur from too slow a shutter speed, digital noise from a high ISO setting or the level of sharpening you apply.

Do you plan to upsample to get the vertical size to 8 inches, or do you just print as is and get a larger white border? If you upsample, it's such a small amount that you probably couldn't see any quality difference; but, you might want to try printing at a resolution of 250ppi. That would give you your 8 inch vertical (but then, you'd have to crop the horizontal) without any interpolation and you likely wouldn't see any difference in detail than if you printed at 300ppi. Maybe you could try a test pic both ways and see whether you like one over the other.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:23 AM   #5

While it's always good to know why and how to do things since you have Photoshop and to get straight to what you are looking to do its to simple!

You will need to crop a little from the photo that just can't be helped so here is the fast answer use the crop tool and change the numbers to what you want4x6, 8x10and resolution to 300 or what ever you need.

Select the area crop and done save it as another name in the format you want.

jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the help. Is there a guideline that most stick to as far as the PPI goes. the original JPEG file is at 300 PPI, so whenever I crop at whatever size, shouldI keep it at 300 PPI or does someone have any other factors to consider. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Edrod13