Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:29 PM   #1

The program seems fairly well regarded and what I've seen of it I'd have to agree to a point.

While downloading this free and said to be unlimited time version with no hidden catch it refered to itself as a trial version.

The real problem is that it also stated it did not need to be registered. When RSE opens it has a registration form all filled out but stops responding as soon as I hit send.

Their Forum had no solutions and e-mailing them took me back to their forum.

I can use RSE if I disconnect my internet connection soon after hitting send registration. It then says it will register next time I open the program and lets me use it.

All pretty odd and frustrating as every other program I need to register does so without a hitch.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:59 PM   #2

I believe the reason why it says "Trial" is because you need to register the software. It is still free, but they want you to register it to use it. by registering, youare giving them permission to send you news and information about Pixmantic.

I've used PDE in the past and it is well worth the hassle of registering. You can refer to the link below for a FAQ on thier forum.

http://www.pixmantec.com/forums/show...mp;page=0#6263

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:36 AM   #3

Thanks Dave. Here is an interesting update.

Here's the rest of the story. The previous night I had installed the Faststone Image Viewer. The next morning it was difficult getting on the web with my dial-up prior to installing RSE; but, I got RSE installed thenran into the inability to register it. I posted the the query above and went out to work on the yard.

When I came back to the computer I noticed I had as many as seven of the same icon on my desktop. When I deletedan iconit asked if I wanted to delete the THREE files it contained. It got worse from there, scary in fact. So, I deleted both programs. and tried to set the computer back in time. There was no response, none when I tried to turn off the computer either. Click no response.

Finally I got it shut down and took a break.When I came back I setthe computerback to before Faststone and now all seems well.

I guess the real question should have been has anyone had a stability problem with Faststone Image Viewer.

I really hate casting dispersions on either program as they both appear to be dandy in their attributes.

I'm going to have a go at RSE again when I get time and see how it all goes; but, if anyone has had a similar experience or insight into this I sure hope to hear from you.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:17 PM   #4

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but I had some issues as well with FastStone Image Viewer and RSE. I had initially loaded the FastStone program on my computer and had no problems with it at all. I really liked it in fact, and thought it would become my viewer of choice. Right after I downloaded RSE to try I ran into trouble. FastStone started to act up - it would take forever to open and display the file tree. By forever I mean as long as a minute or more. I tried removing it and reinstalling a fresh version to no avail.

In desperation I decided to remove RSE thinking that would do it. I can't figure out what exactly is wrong, but even after removing RSE, a fresh installation of FastStone still has the same issue. Interestingly, I also use Picasa, and it hasn't been affected at all. It works just as well now as the day I first installed it. Go figure. :?
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:58 PM   #5

Pixmatic the makers of Raw Shooter has been bought by Adobe, and Raw Shooter is destined for the scrap heap as Adobe plans to kill it when they GA releaseAdobe Lightroom.
http://www.pixmantec.com/

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:08 PM   #6

I have installed two versions of RSE (2005 and 2006). I also have installed Silkypix and Noiseware Community Edition along with Fastone Browser. All of these on two different computers. I have a fetish for free Photo editing software. No problems on either one. I run Windows XP Home Edition on one computerand Windows XP Pro on the other. If you are not running Windows XP you may be experiencing some stability problems with older operating systems likeWindows 2000, 98, etc. The other possibility is have you set Fastone Browser as your default internet browser? My default is still Internet Explorer. Setting Fastone as your default browser may be causing a problem for other programs to access the internet when they need to, like when registering the product. Try setting Internet Explorer as your default browser. Good luck
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:02 PM   #7

Very glad to hear from you guys.

I'm running XP home with plenty of speed, RAM and memory. My browser is Firefox. I also have Panda Platinum Antivirus which normally asks if I want to allow a new program to use the internet. But not this time which was the rub I couldn't understand.

I use a 5D for which I've been studying color management and have been wanting to try RAW (I've been a foolish chicken to this point). I now see its the only way to go if you wanna do it right.

I've got the computer set back before it had its total melt down and all seems as stable as its been for the last couple years.

I had to shut Panda Antivirus down to allow RSE to register the program then flicked it back on. I am just finishing reading the RSE user guide. RSE is a fantastic free program that will remain available for a while yet. The $ version is gone. There is no way I can tell you about its amazing capabilities. It is literally FANTASTIC super intuitive and requires very little on the users part to get the best from a photo. No wonder ADOBE had to have it. Damn thats a shame. I can't believe they actually give this thing away.

While Faststone is awfully nifty I'm gonna wait a while longer to reinstall it. When I do and if all falls apart again that will be the end of Faststone. One last chance.

BTW if you don't have the gelt for a color spyder and want to start off with a properly calibrated monitor to start down the color management road, I have found the FREE holy grail there too. Get Quick Monitor Profile and Quick Gamma. Beyond that Norman Koran probaly has the most color management info in one spot.

The great thing about RSE and the two Quick programs is that they make it quick easy and right. Norman is a tough read though. I had no idea what I was missing all this time.

Cheers to all and very best wishes.

Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:02 PM   #8

a200user wrote:
Quote:
I have installed two versions of RSE (2005 and 2006). I also have installed Silkypix and Noiseware Community Edition along with Fastone Browser. All of these on two different computers. I have a fetish for free Photo editing software. No problems on either one. I run Windows XP Home Edition on one computerand Windows XP Pro on the other. If you are not running Windows XP you may be experiencing some stability problems with older operating systems likeWindows 2000, 98, etc. The other possibility is have you set Fastone Browser as your default internet browser? My default is still Internet Explorer. Setting Fastone as your default browser may be causing a problem for other programs to access the internet when they need to, like when registering the product. Try setting Internet Explorer as your default browser. Good luck
I have been looking for a user who is familiar with both RSE and Noiseware. I would like to know which one is easier to use and gives better noise reduction with less detail loss? Also, which one is more stable program? I would prefer to learn only one program for noise reduction (too much to do and not enough time...:sad.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote