Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good photo editor after trying for half an hour to put a watermark in my picture using some free software. I think I need to upgrade.

However, I'm 15 years old and I really can't justify spending 2 months paycheck on the newest version of photoshop. However I have found photoshop elements 4.0 for around $100 and I could probably afford that. (I'm a bit confused with all the versions so I included a picture of the version I'd be getting, could someone confirm that this is what I"m looking for?)

Basically, what would I miss out on with this version of photoshop? And would it be fine for the purposes of an amateur photographer wanting to do some simple digital editing (and things like adding a copyright mark to my photos)

Attached Images

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:24 PM   #2

Yes ... PS Elements 4.0 will do you well. However, if you want to try some free software first, download Picassahttp://picasa.google.com/which is very nice and easy to learn, orthe "Gimp" http://www.gimp.org/which is outstanding, but has a very steep learning curve. The Gimp can do almost anything PhotoShop can.

PaintShopPro is also very nice, but not free and costs $99 http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1047025487586.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:06 PM   #3

I've found picasa but wasn't able to do much with it. (Can you even create images from scratch on it?) I've also tried the GIMP and found that it just wasn't user friendly enough, I'm not a super high-tech computer guy, I just know some basic HTML and some very, very basic Visual Basic. Nothing that helps me learn an image editor.

I will however, download the 30 day trial of Elements to make sure it works... and then I'll download the 30 day trial of the full photoshop, and then I'll download some other 30 day trial, and by the time thats done, I'll have plenty of money for an image editor. :lol:

Thanks for the tips, I am probably going to pick up elements. CS2 looks soo amazing, but $800 is a lot of money when compared to $120.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:20 AM   #4

Remember, by learning on Elements you will find using CS2 somewhat easier but because of its tremendous power and capabilities it will have a steep learning curve (but not as bad as the Gimp IMHO). I use CS2, graduating up from PS5 through 7 as the upgrades became available and am still learning (and relearning) as I use different features.

Since you are apparantly in school (15) I suggest looking into Academic Pricing, as you will find the full version ofCS2 MUCH CHEAPER purchased that way.

AcademicSuperStore http://www.academicsuperstore.com/item/?tname=244935has it for $300. Still high, but not too far out of reach. My college-level students have purchased from them in the past. You have to send a copy of your school student ID or similar to qualify.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5

I have considered the academic versions, however, I believe that those don't allow me to make any profit off my photos, which is the eventual plan.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6

Actually, the below is directly from the Adobe education licensing website and you should get the Academic Version:

Qualified individuals who acquire Educational Software Products for their own personal use but not for further distribution or transfer and who have presented appropriate identification of current status as ....

Student question
"I'm very interested in buying the Education version of Adobe Creative Suite, but first I want to know if the software can be used to produce work for paying customers once I am working in the industry, or do I have to buy a different version of Creative Suite once I'm working in the industry?"

Answer
Good news! You can use Adobe Education software (any title!) to produce commercial/professional paid-for work when you leave school, or even while you are in school. In this regard, Adobe does not limit how student software is used. So students can use it to learn and to make money!

(Of course, students must agree to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement — which appears during installation — just as every software customer must do.)
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:21 AM   #7

hgernhardtjr, you are a life saver:-)

If I can use the educational version for profit, then I think I will definately have to pick it up, now I just need to figure out how to get the student verifications and hope living in Canada doesn't screw anything up.

Thank you very much!!