Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:31 PM   #1

I am a very recent purchaser of my first DSLR (OLY EVolt 500), and was wondering about something that I hope someone wouldn't mind helping me with.

I had been using a copy of a friend's photo editing program (Photoshop CS2), but for no more than doing very basic stuff with it. Now that I have a DSLR I am going to take things to a whole different level, and will be purchasing either Photoshop or Paintshop Pro (I wouldn't feel right in continuing to use that copied program, now that I am going to be making money with my camera - and such a program). But here's the actual question: Does Photoshop, or Paintshop Pro incorporate a worthy 'Noise Removal' feature? Or would one have to shell out for a dedicated 'Noise Removal' program? If so, which would be the best one to get? I have been hearing a lot about "Noise Ninja", as well as "Neat Image" - which leads me to believe that they might be the leaders of the pack. If that is indeed the case, then opinions on the best of the two would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know whether or not a college given course in Photoshop would qualify a student for an academic purchase of that program?

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:12 AM   #2

Hey there, I don't personally own Photoshop CS2, so I can't tell you if it has a built in feature.

What I do know however, if that of the noise removal programs available, noiseware is one of the best rated. Maximum PC magazine recently tested Noiseware against Noise Ninja and found Noiseware to be better. Noiseware is also available as a photoshop plug-in (this suggests that photoshop doesn't have it built in, although I don't know 100%)

Also, I think that a college course would qualify you for the acedemic version, but you should be aware that acedemic versions of software cannot be used for profit, and you earlier mentioned making money off your photography, so I think that this is not for you.

Also, if money is an issue, I would consider doing what I plan on doing, which is buying Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0, an older version of photoshop which is easy to find for around $100. However, very serious photographers need CS2.

Hope that was of help,
Keilan
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:42 AM   #3

Thanks, Keilan ~

Methinks, now, that I do remember someone mentioning (a good while back, on another program issue) as to how academic versions of programs were not as well heeled as their counterparts. Then, too, your mentioning that academic programs could not be used for profit is what sealed it for me. I will have to buy the 'straight-up' version. The program that I got from a friend is Photoshop CS (not CS2, as I had thought), and I will continue to play around with it (more seriously now) until I finish that 6-week course (whenever it starts, which is something I will be checking into later today). By the end of that course I should be in the position to purchase that CS2 or, at the very least, Elements.

Also, thanks for the heads up on 'NoiseWare'. I will check to see about a demo on this program.

Blessings,

Nathan

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
Hey there, I don't personally own Photoshop CS2, so I can't tell you if it has a built in feature.

What I do know however, if that of the noise removal programs available, noiseware is one of the best rated. Maximum PC magazine recently tested Noiseware against Noise Ninja and found Noiseware to be better. Noiseware is also available as a photoshop plug-in (this suggests that photoshop doesn't have it built in, although I don't know 100%)

Also, I think that a college course would qualify you for the acedemic version, but you should be aware that acedemic versions of software cannot be used for profit, and you earlier mentioned making money off your photography, so I think that this is not for you.

Also, if money is an issue, I would consider doing what I plan on doing, which is buying Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0, an older version of photoshop which is easy to find for around $100. However, very serious photographers need CS2.

Hope that was of help,
Keilan
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:09 AM   #4

I've been using this free program for a couple of years and find it very good.I use it in addition to photoshop.

http://heliconfilter.com/pages/index.php?id=446
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:49 PM   #5

I have been using Photoshop for years and prefer it. But if I wanted to spend less I would prefer Paint Shop Pro to Elements. Elements is intended as a lower level program and has been stunted to some degree so people will still buy the full Photoshop. PSP is as good as it can be because Jasc wasn't selling other programs they didn't want to compete with. Even Photoshop doesn't have any vector capabilities because they want people to buy Illustrator. PSP does have limited vector capability.

Corel has bought PSP and I would guess it will lose some of its capabilities in future versions so they don't compete with their Corel programs. But the latest version of PSP (X) was designed by Jasc with no limitations.

Another advantage is that Corel has released "CD only" versions of PSP X for sale with computers. It is exactly the same as the boxed program and has no limitations. You can register it and use it commercially. You just don't get the box and useless special offers. I've bought several such programs and have been quite happy with them. http://cgi.ebay.com/Corel-Paint-Shop...QQcmdZViewItem

There are free versions of the major noise reduction programs you can download. Neat Image considers the trial version freeware for non commercial use. You can get an idea of their effectiveness and compare them. I much prefer a plug-in version that I can use in my image editor. You can do a lot more sophisticated noise reduction than just shotgunning the entire image.

CS2 has a noise reduction filter, but I don't think it is as good as Noise Ninja, Neat Image and Noiseware. I don't have PSP X so I can't comment.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:54 AM   #6

I use CS2 and the noise reduction is not very good, I have tried the free versions of Noiseware and Noise Ninja, but personally I have found Picture Cooler better, it is freeware, and it seems the latest version has a PS plug-in, I haven't played around with it yet to see how it works.

http://denoiser.shorturl.com/

Max
Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:58 PM   #7

Max,

I just tried to find a download link for 'Picture Cooler', but everything pointed me to some forum discussion about the program. Would you happen to remember how I can go about getting it?

By the way, I did download demo versions of 'Helicon' & 'RawShooter', and kind'a liked playing around with both. I did something kind of nice to the photo of an old building, that was taken yesterday, but could not (for the life of me) see how to go about saving it. Maybe it is because of it being a demo version.

But if you could direct me to that 'Picture Cooler' freeware program, I would deeply appreciate it.

Nathan
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:57 PM   #8

Nathan,

The link in my previous post takes you there - the download link is at the very top on the left, besides the small photo - it only looks like a forum post - its just how he advertises.

Max
Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:55 PM   #9

Thanks Max.

I now have it. Man, I tell ya - I have been totally out of everything else since I got my hands on this camera :-). I'll get it together, though.

_________
Blessings,

Nathan