Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1

Well due to some educational someware, I can afford photoshop, however now I need to know if it's worth it, considering my not-so-hot computer. I'm within the minimum specifications on adobe's website, but those tend to be a little biased. Heres what I have.

Intel Celeron D Processor 335 (2.8GHz)
80GB HDD
CD-RW (no DVD, does that matter?)
512MB RAM

So will I run into trouble trying to run it on this computer? It's mainly my processor that I'm worried about, it says 2.8GHz but it's obviously a really low quality 2.8GHz judging by the way it runs.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:25 PM   #2

Ah, I forgot something that is probably quite important. My graphics card... or lack thereof.

I'm using an Intel Extreme Graphics2 3D... basically a piece of junk. Will that be too limiting when using photoshop?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:42 PM   #3

No, that will do. Folks buy as much computer as they can for maximum perfomrance on these things, but you will not find that you are unable to use the program effectively on that set-up (although it will probably take a couple of minutes to load....)

ETA: Here's the system requirements page from adobe for CS2:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/systemreqs.html

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:03 PM   #4
Administrator

That should work fine. Don't worry about your graphics card (Image editors don't need a fast graphics card).

You may want to consider buying another 512MB of RAM to bring it up to 1GB though, depending on what else you've got running, and what you plan to do (editing multiple files at a time, especially if you're using layers, will require a bit more memory and you don't want it swapping to hard disk if possible).

Try it with 512MB first and see if you run into any slow downs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:06 PM   #5

Well I'm going to avoid multitasking while I use it as much as possible, but I suppose upgrading my ram might be necessary. It's just a pain seeing as both my RAM slots have 256MB in them at the time, so I would actually need to buy two 512MB's, so lets hope this setup works.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:18 PM   #6
Administrator

Download a trial version and test it. That's the best way to see what your performance will be before spending the money on it (or the money to upgrade your RAM).

Download Page for trial version of Photoshop CS2 for Windows XP

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:20 PM   #7

I've run Photoshop on less and it works pretty good. The biggest problem I had was trying to run Bridge and Photoshop together. Those two running at the same time will really bog down your system.

As for your hardware I will say this, 1GB of RAM would be nice but you can run with 512. The main prblem with your video card is that it more than likely shares your system RAM so your actual system memorey will be around 384-480MB depending on how much is actually shared. This can really slow the performance.

Not have a DVD will be fine, once the program is installed, the optical drive won't matter.

Your processor isn't too slow, although it's a Celeron it's still a 2.8GHz so it runs a little slower than a P4 but not terribly awful.

Also, the 80GBHD will fill up fast so you may want to think about either a larger internal drive or an external drive for storage.

But again, these can all be future upgrades. You will still be able to use all of Photoshop's bells and whistles, they may just ring a little slower. :-)

Have fun,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:45 PM   #8

My graphics card does share my RAM, however it's a 16MB graphics card, so it's really not much of a loss. And I will hopefully upgrade my system eventually, but for now, even scraping together the money for the educational version will hurt.

JimC, thank you for the link to the trial page, however I am currently using my 30 day trial for photoshop elements, and I wouldn't like to have two trials running at once. However, after both of those trials have run though (60 days) I will have saved up the money to actually buy photoshop. Thats sort of the plan, use trials until I can buy the real thing.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:36 AM   #9

I am currently running CS2 on a system with a P4- 2.8 MHz processor and only 256Mb of RAM so I am below the minimum requirements for CS2.

I don't have any real problems, I run CS2 and Bridge at the same time, plus other software at times, and it doesn't seem to slow down the processing in CS2, its probably helped because my camera is only 3.1Mp so the file size is not to large.

Max
Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote