Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:05 PM   #11
Administrator

It works like a charm.

The image that you export will be the edited image. It's always worked that way in every build of Picasa I've used, including the newest one.

Ater you crop an image and press "Apply" (which you have to do before you even see the Export choice at the bottom), the selected images will export.

Perhaps you've got more than one image selected (highlighted box around it when viewing an album) or somthing. I've never seen any problems using the export feature in any version of Picasa.

Or, perhaps you're not looking at the exported image later.

You have to open the image from the folder you exported to.

I don't have these folders (the ones I export to) as part of what Picasa shows (I limit the folders Picasa displays to one directory and it's subdirectories).

It sounds like you're probably just looking at an original image, versus the exported image if you don't see the modifications you made with Picasa.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:32 PM   #12

Did I read you right? Crop first Apply second?? I'm sure that it's the other way around. Press Apply so that you can have the ability to crop. Once done click the Export button and then OK. Then you "should" get the cropped image. Yet, all I get is the original file. Unaltered.

And I've only done one image at a time.

I'm definitely looking at the original image and not the modified one. Which is why I said when I Export I only see the original file...untouched. And yes in the directory it was sent to.

Not sure what's causing this on my end. I talked with Tullio. Via MSN Messenger. We went through this step-by-step. More than once. I told him exactly what I did. He agreed I didn't miss a step. And was surprised I still couldn't export the cropped image. Only getting just a copy of the original file.

Saving an altered file...we've all done probably thousands of times. In diferent kinds of apps. Picasa 2 isn't that much more different. Yet something's run amok.

Another thing...I just noticed that if you put your pointer over the Export button it tells you that it copies what ever file is in the tray to a folder on your hard drive. I can crop the photo on the main screen ro the right of the menu bar all I want. It works. But the photo sitting in the tray remains unchanged. So Picasa is doing as it's supposed to when you click Export. Which is to copy that one file in the tray to the specified directory. For some reason the picture in the tray isn't insync with what I'm doing on the main work area.

I'll play around with it some more. Maybe I'll accidently find out what was causing this problem. It's probably something too simple. If you or any one else as any ideas please chime in any time!

Thanks Jim.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:00 PM   #13
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Did I read you right? Crop first Apply second?
Yes... You read me right.

You press Crop to get to the Crop screen (as in the image I included in my first post to this thread).

Notice the crop box that I dragged around part of the iimage?

You size the crop box where you want to the crop to be after you select one of the available choices (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, manual).

Just follow the directions on the screen:

"Select a dimension below and then click and drag on the Image to select the portion of the image you wish to crop"

If you leave out that step, it won't know where to crop the image. You have to drag a crop box around the desired portion. All selecting a box size is doing is making sure the box stays at the desired ratio of width to height. You have to tell it how you want it cropped (by dragging the crop box around the desired portion to keep).

Then, when you press the Apply Button (visible in my sample above on the screen you're doing the cropping on), the image is actually cropped (leaving only the portion that was inside of the crop box). That will return you to where you can select the Export button at the bottom.

Then, when you export it, it will export a cropped version of it (along with any other edits you've applied).

Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:23 PM   #14

JimC, you did it again!! You're now 2-0!! Much appreciated!! It worked!!

So then what is that slide bar for at the bottom right corner just under the work window? Shows you how much you've zoomed into the image. It's now obvious that wasn't the "cropping tool". Heh!

Also, when you've cropped an image in let's say 4x6 aspect ratio...when you go to print that image it should automatically fill a sheet of 4x6 photo paper right? Can you explain how the print process works for me briefly?

Thanks again!

Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:42 PM   #15
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
JimC, you did it again!! You're now 2-0!! Much appreciated!! It worked!!
I figured that you must be leaving out an important step (like the actual crop). ;-)

Quote:
So then what is that slide bar for at the bottom right corner just under the work window? Shows you how much you've zoomed into the image. It's now obvious that wasn't the "cropping tool". Heh!
It just lets you zoom in to see fine details (and you can move the image around by pressing your left mouse button and dragging it when you're zoomed in to see the desired portion).

Quote:
Also, when you've cropped an image in let's say 4x6 aspect ratio...when you go to print that image it should automatically fill a sheet of 4x6 photo paper right?
Only if you order 4x6" prints, or your printing software is setup for 4x6" prints. All cropping the image is doing is making sure it's the correct ratio of width to height for that size print. The prints could be at any multiple of that aspect ratio (4x6, 8x12, etc.). Of course, you'd want to make sure the image had enough resolution to support the desired size (don't try a 16x24 inch print from a 1 Megapixel Image). lol

The crop tool just lets you control what part gets cut off, so that you don't get any unexpected surprises (some printing software will give different borders, and some will automatically crop so that equal portions of the side that's too long is cut off).

When you crop using one of the available sizes, you can crop for both composition and aspect ratio (ratio of width to height).

Quote:
Can you explain how the print process works for me briefly?
I've never used Picasa for printing (I've never even tried printing from it). lol

But, it shouildn't be too difficult to figure out if that's what you want to use for printing. It looks like it's got some print sizes you can configure under it's options screen. Then, if you press the print button, you can select an available layout that matches the printer and paper sizes you have available.

If you use Picasa to print, you shouldn't even need to export the images (you could print them from within the Picasa application).

If you are going to have them printed somewhere else, you could copy the photos you export to a CD or memory card (or just upload them to an online printing service).

Most home printers also come with software that lets you print photos. So, if you have a printer, you may want to give it a try, too.

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:28 PM   #16

Hello Jim,

Like I said...I assumed the zoom bar was the "cropping bar". No wonder I could never Export the cropped image. Hehe!! Live and learn.

Yes I noticed the print size choices in the Options dialogue box. Just wonder how the process worked. As Picasa is really the first photo editing/management software I've had a chance to play with since I picked up my first digital camera.

Any how thanks again Jim! Cya around on the forum.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:44 PM   #17
Administrator

I think I sometimes take it for granted that new camera owners have done things like cropping before. So, please forgive my smileys.

There are lots of choices around in image browsing/editing/printing tools.

I like Picasa because it's easy for me to quickly browse images I copy to my hard drive.

I've got it setup so that it only monitors a folder named c:\photos (and it's subfolders). You'll find lots of different systems, but I make a new subfolder for each unique date (and if the contents of a memory card spill over between dates, I'll just pick the one that I think is more important for jogging my memory later).

I used a yyyymmdd type naming system for the folders (for better compatibilty with DOS based utilities and programs that don't get along well with long filenames).

Then, when I start Picasa, it will see the new folder and images and add the images to it's internal database so that I can browse the folders contents. I don't use it for copying from my camera or media or for printing. It's mostly a browsing tool for me (although I have been know to use it for quick fix corrections and cropping from time to time)