Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:38 PM   #1

With software like Adobe's Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Apple's iPhoto '06...can you choose to crop your photo's to common picture sizes like 4x6, 8x10, 13x19...etc.? I know with Bible Pro 4.8 you can. Not only that you can create custom sizes to fit your needs. For example you can set Bible to 5x5 for medium format photography.

I downloaded Picasa but found out it only offers 3 odd sizes and one manual mode. But not the more common 4x6 or 8x10.

Thanks!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 7:53 PM   #2
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I downloaded Picasa but found out it only offers 3 odd sizes and one manual mode. But not the more common 4x6 or 8x10.
Huh? The "3 odd sizes" offered by Picasa are 4x6", 5x7" and 8x10" (see attached screen print).

As for Elements, I don't know. But, with Photoshop CS2, you can crop to any diimension you want to.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:27 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Huh? The "3 odd sizes" offered by Picasa are 4x6", 5x7" and 8x10" (see attached screen print).

As for Elements, I don't know. But, with Photoshop CS2, you can crop to any diimension you want to.

Hello JimC,

I don't get it. I downloaded what I believe is the lastest version. Same version your JPG shows. Yet the sizes I see are 10x15, 13x18, 20c25 and Manual. I kid you not. I clicked on the link on the upper right corner. Is that a different version?

I'll try again. But I don't see why I got the 3 sizes I mentioned and not 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10.... :? And I have version 2.2.0 (Build 28.20.0) :?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:55 PM   #4
Administrator

You wereusing a newer version thanme (I was running a 2.1.0, Build 27.60.0).

But, I just downloaded the latest and installed it (2.2.0,Build 28.20.0)and the crop options are still identical.

I can't even figure out a way that you could change them from 4x6", 5x7" or 8x10" (even changing the print sizes availalbe under the options you can set doesn't effect the available crop options from what I can tell).

They probably use those because they're more popular (at least in the U.S.)

So, I don't know how you'd end up with a version that has different crop sizes available.

Are you getting it from the download link on this page?

http://picasa.google.com/

Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:05 AM   #5

Elements works like Photoshop. Select the crop tool and put the width and height in the boxes at the top. Those numbers will stay until you change them or hit Clear.

Be sure to not put anything in the resolution box unless you absolutely have to resample.

Irfanview lets you select any size under Edit > Create custom crop selection.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:12 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You wereusing a newer version thanme (I was running a 2.1.0, Build 27.60.0).

But, I just downloaded the latest and installed it (2.2.0,Build 28.20.0)and the crop options are still identical.

I can't even figure out a way that you could change them from 4x6", 5x7" or 8x10" (even changing the print sizes availalbe under the options you can set doesn't effect the available crop options from what I can tell).

They probably use those because they're more popular (at least in the U.S.)

So, I don't know how you'd end up with a version that has different crop sizes available.

Are you getting it from the download link on this page?

http://picasa.google.com/

Yes I am using that link. Could it be because I'm downloading from Canada that I'm automatically being routed to a Canadian server? Shrug.

I've already uninstalled and downloaded the program maybe 3 times. Keep getting my set of sizes. Not the ones you're getting. Not sure what is going on here.

Please see PM.

Thanks Slipe!
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:00 AM   #7
Administrator

I don't know what could be wrong. But, even their help screens show only those crop sizes available (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, manual).

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...c=0&type=f

Same thing for the help in the picasa section on google.ca

http://picasa.google.ca/support/bin/...c=0&type=f

Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:11 AM   #8
Administrator

I figured it out by searching through some user groups.

Your PC is configured for metric measurements (so that's what you're seeing for crop box sizes). It's showing you centimeters versus inches. ;-)

The dimensions are actually the same for cropping purposes (10x15 centimeters is the same ratio of width to height as 4x6 inches).

If you want to make it appear as 4X6 instead of 10X15, you have to change your Windows settings:

Control Panel
Date, Time, Language and Regional Options
Change the format of numbers, dates and times
Regional Options tab -> Customize button
Numbers tab
Change "Measurement system" to US

But, that would probably impact other applications that give you measurements, too.

You could use it just like it is (the aspect ratios would be the same for the choices you're seeing).

Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:11 PM   #9

Hello Jim,

Done that. I now see the US measurements and not metric. Thanks again!

But, now, for whatever reason I can't save the cropped picture. Talked about it with another member of this forum. He's using the same version. 2.1.0 Build 27.60.0. But has no troubles saving the cropped picture. All I keep getting are copies of the original.

This should be a walk in the park. Here are the steps I took...double click on picture, click on Crop, select 4x6, select Apply, crop picture, click on Export and then OK. Then, a window pops up showing which directory the file is going. I see it appear maybe 2-3 seconds later. But it's the original picture.

Any one is welccome to chime in on this. Don't know why this is happening or what i could be missing. :?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:57 PM   #10
Administrator

Picasa does not apply changes to the original images. That's one of the things many users like about it (it's similar to using layers, and you can undo image edits, backing up to previous steps).

If you want to save an edited image, use the export button, selecting a folder to save an edited image to).

Edit -- Ooops.. I see you are using the Export button.

Well.. let me try the newest build. It worked fine on the version I was using.