Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 9, 2003, 2:54 PM   #1

Default Adequate memory for Photoshop Elements 2.0?

How much memory is adequate for Photo Shop Elements 2.0
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2003, 9:22 PM   #2

The package calls for a minimum of Windows 98 and 128MB of RAM. If you have Windows98 I'm sure 128MB would suffice. Even with XP, 128MB would probably do, but for a more enjoyable experience I would use 256MB.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 7:36 AM   #3

Default What is slowing Photoshop Elements 2 down?

Thanks for the reply re:memory for Elements 2. This E-5200 Gateway has Windows 2000 and 262M ram. Loading and refreshing any size thumbnails (using a 1G Microdrive on a Zio USB reader.) is an agonizing process taking minutes it seems. The same operation is fairly fast at home on my Windows 98SE computer (w/1G of ram).
Would increasing virtual memory size help? Your suggestions?
Old May 12, 2003, 8:30 AM   #4

Is the same Zio reader used in both cases? And to make sure, you are displaying the contents of the MicroDrive in the Windows Explorer and it takes longer on one computer than another to display the icons for the pictures on the MD?

If that discription fits, then I'd blame your USB port first. That does't seem like ram to me (but I could be wrong.) Go download the tool "TaskInfo", which is like the task manager on XP (I've used an older version of it, and its very handy.) I'd use that to monitor your RAM on the W98SE machine. Then I'd compare that to the task manager on the XP machine.

Also, I'd test it on W98SE, then XP, then on W98SE again. Make sure the times are consistant. I'd hate to see that XP caches something on the MD which speeds it up some how.. I don't believe it does this, but who knows? I didn't write the OS.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 5:32 PM   #5

Definitely not a RAM issue. I have Windows XP with about 300MB and it's fine. I don't see how in the world 256 wouldn't be sufficient. Now when your are talking speeds here, I assume you are talking about the time it takes to pull the pics off your card and onto your hard drive riight? Once you have the pic on your drive and off the card, does Photoshop open the pic and let you edit the picture pretty quickly? You're not trying to edit the pic from your flash card right? Carify what your steps are a bit and tell me abit about the PC's beside the ram. What is your cpu speed? Do you have plenty of hard drive space?
Old May 13, 2003, 7:54 AM   #6

Thanks MD Parker. This work computer is 800 MHz Pentium III. AS you say, I probably shouldn't be editing off the Microdrive/USB.
Odd though, my home 1GHz AMD with 1G Ram flies compared to this machine. Via the Zio the Microdrive sems to crawl.
Any suggestions welcomed. I often have to shoot quickly and edit almost immediately. Also Elements sometimes hangs - "illegal operation" Wonder if re-installing it might help?
Old May 13, 2003, 6:31 PM   #7

As far as the illegal op's go .... I'd try a reinstall. Looks like both PC's should be more than sufficent to open/edit pics in a timely manner. Do a reinstall of the software on the comptuer that crawls. Upload some pic froms from the card and save them on the hard drive. Then try to edit the pictures. If you can edit them fine and the speed seems good, I'd say the problem is with the USB port or reader. Are you using the same reader on both computers? If not, swap them out and see what that does. Also see if you can determine if the USB ports are 1.0 or 2.0. If the fast computer has 2.0 and the slow one is 1.0 then that could be the issue since 1.0 usb ports are slower.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 7:01 PM   #8

Default Photos in Folder

I have a Gb of RAM and working with photos on a flash card is agonizingly slow. I have a folder set up, called "Transfer", and I move all pictures to that before rotating or anything else.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:45 PM   #9

If you have a Pentium 4 PC from 1.8 to 3 GHZ, with 512meg-1 gig ram, it will works better, the solfware just listed the minimum requirements and said it will work, but working with a lot of images and pictures, try not to get below the above threshold, otherwise, prepare to sit down and wait...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote