Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:56 AM   #1

Hello people,

If you had to purchase your first photo editing/management software which one would it be and why?...Assuming you were seriously considing an Apple MacBook Pro...which ships with iLife '06...includes iPhoto '06...

I was considering Adobe's Photoshop Elements 4.0. But read on another forum how several users found one too many bugs. Read this...

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20859

Thanks in advance!

JimC,

No problem pal ! And again thanks for your help!! Picasa's a nice free progam. But like most others (free software or not) does have it's share of design issues. Making it less than intuitive for new users like me. I feel no matter the kind of editing or PP work that needs to be done the process of achieving the end result should be exactly the same. Including a tutorial program would have been nice too IMHO

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:15 PM   #2

I've always used paint shop pro in the past because it was the first art package i tried and because i got used to it. I did have a go with photoshop once, but didn't have a clue how to use it.

Anyway i wouldn't mind giving the new version of paint shop pro a try and have just bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 online and hope to give it a go soon.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:06 PM   #3

12noon wrote:
Quote:
I've always used paint shop pro in the past because it was the first art package i tried and because i got used to it. I did have a go with photoshop once, but didn't have a clue how to use it.

Anyway i wouldn't mind giving the new version of paint shop pro a try and have just bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 online and hope to give it a go soon.
Keep us posted on Adobe PE4! Is it really as buggy as those three guys said? (see the link I provided). Gotta wonder. I would have thought Adobe's quality control guys would have given us a more trouble free product.

Is any one else having problems with PE4? If so please chime in.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:16 AM   #4

DarkDTSHD, if you read the thread you linked to again, you will see in fact, it is just the one guy that had a problem with PSE4.

He commented twice and the second guy just said he had had problems with PSE2 and not 4.

Also, it seems his issues were resolved and I would hazard a guess that his problems were down to an iffy installation (it happens), and his unfamiliarity with the program.

I have used PSE4 without any problem at all and can highly recommend it for your first foray into photo editing !

Check theAdobe PSE4 for Mac site, to see what it can do and check the system requirements too (link to the right under product info).
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:51 AM   #5

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD, if you read the thread you linked to again, you will see in fact, it is just the one guy that had a problem with PSE4.

He commented twice and the second guy just said he had had problems with PSE2 and not 4.

Also, it seems his issues were resolved and I would hazard a guess that his problems were down to an iffy installation (it happens), and his unfamiliarity with the program.

I have used PSE4 without any problem at all and can highly recommend it for your first foray into photo editing !

Check theAdobe PSE4 for Mac site, to see what it can do and check the system requirements too (link to the right under product info).
Oh my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. I guess I had been bouncing around too many forums and threads that day.

Just reread it. He does say he encountered a "known bug" though. So whether it could have been due to a bad install or inexperience is any one's guess.

But, deep inside I never really thought Adobe was capable of putting out a product as allegedly buggy as the first guy said. He was just a little frustrated with his first experience. And I have checked out the Mac webpage for PE4. So, are you also saying you'd still recommend it, with the assumption that I do end up with a MacBook Pro laptop (which ships with iPhoto '06)? Is PE4 so much better as a photo editing/management program?

I don't suppose you could post a screenshot with the cropping menu open? If not so be it. No biggie.

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:26 AM   #6

The 'known bug' issue seems to have been resolved for that user and quite likely for anyone else.

It was the other 'problems' he seemed to encounter that made me think it was possibly a bad install or unfamiliarity with the program.

I don't use a Mac and never have. So you would have to dig deeper into the forums to find likeminded users, but I haven't encountered any problems on my PC.

Your screenshot......

Image hosted at Flickr
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote