Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:35 PM   #1

I just snapped a few in Raw for the first time with a Digital Rebel XT and opened them in PSE 4, Mac version. Camera Raw 3.4 (89) is in the plug in folder.

I expected the interface to be different when editing a Raw image, but it's the same interface and tools that I see when I open a JPEG image. Am I missing something, or is it functioning as it should?

I was expecting to need to decide on 8-bit or 16-bit but didn't see that option.

The pictures are beautiful out of the camera ... much nicer than JPEG! They don't need much post processing.

They were shot with ISO 100 and seem a little noisy though ... does Raw prevent in-camera noise reduction?

Thanks for the help! This is a great site.

Drew
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:57 PM   #2

drewaz, the interface should be different! Are you sure that you opened the RAW file and not a JPEG version of the shot? I think that your camera can take RAW and an attached JPEG at the same time.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:02 AM   #3

hey Grant ....* I have the camera set to Raw and didn't include the 'jpeg also' option.* *I downloaded the photos to iPhoto 6 and have that program set to open the image in PSE 4 when I double click on it.I think the image in iPhoto is Raw, but I just checked on the one that opened in PSE and it's a JPEG.Any ideas?Thanks .....* Drew*
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:17 AM   #4

Well, sorry for taking up your time. There is a preference in iPhoto that needed to be checked in order to use Raw files with an external editor. All is well.

Drew