Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1

Dear all friends here,
Can anyone can teach and show me how to whitening teeth in a potrait photo in photoshop CS2?
i face some prob when i do that. after whitening, the pic look not natural anymore.

thanks

regards,
koshinki
koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:19 PM   #2

i usually use the dodge tool (looks like a black magnifying glass) at a low exposure, usually 40%. Then I "brush" each tooth a click at a time.I'd recommend not zooming in at pixel level; the closer you get to actual size the more natural your touch will be. hope this helps
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:36 PM   #3

koshinki, try this out: Use the Lasso tool to draw a selection border around the teeth -- the teeth only, not any of the gums. Then go to Select > Feather, and enter 1 pixel in the Feather selection dialog box and click "okay". Now go to, Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation and choose Yellows from the Edit pop-up menu. Then drag the Saturation slider to the left. This clears up any yellowing in the teeth. Now switch the Edit menu back to "Master" and drag the Lightness slider to the right. That will brighten the teeth. Don't drag it too far, or the result will be unnatural. When you get the result you want, click "okay". Last, deselect the teeth by pressing Control + D.

I got this technique from the book, The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers, by Scott Kelby. It's a pretty good book!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:31 PM   #4

Hi urbanaries and ganthagen,
thanks for the reply. i'll try it tonight.

question again,
- if use the lasso to select the teeth, is 1 time select all the teeth or select each by 1 time?

thanks again

regards,
koshinki
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:59 PM   #5

maybe this is a stupid question..... :lol::lol::lol:
but just share with u all, i was actually try to select the teeth all together and whitening it using "dodge" tool but i realized i can't really see the details of the teeth "partition". means that when i whitening the teeth, i lost the details of the teeth.

sorry for the poor english.....
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:20 AM   #6

It;s really easy.

#1 Quick mask the teeth when done inverse the selection

#2 Add an Hue/Saturation adjustments layer

#3 Change the Edit from Master to Yellow and move the Saturation sliderto the left all the way

That's it if you want to and make some fine adjustments you can use the opacity but it most likely isn't needed.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:12 AM   #7

Hi everyone here,
thanks for all the good info. i already tried once and found that the result is much more better than before.

thanks again for your guideline.

thanks

regards,
koshinki
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:05 PM   #8

koshinki wrote:

question again,
- if use the lasso to select the teeth, is 1 time select all the teeth or select each by 1 time?

Select them all at once.

koshinki also wrote:

sorry for the poor english.....

Hey, you know English a lot better than most of us know your language!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:56 AM   #9

:-):-) my country language.... malay.... not easy. it make me suffered in my secondary school also.
i'm staying in singapore and using english and chinese.

thanks for all the reply from urbanaries, jtgraphics and granthagen. thanks steve's digicams because this forum is the best way for me to find answer for all the graphic and photo problem.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:51 AM   #10

I have just bought "The Photoshop Elements 4 Book For Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby and must say that it's well worth reading. Anyway it gives the same way to do teeth whitening in that book too. Love how he put the part about teeth on page 230 though. LOL

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
koshinki, try this out: Use the Lasso tool to draw a selection border around the teeth -- the teeth only, not any of the gums. Then go to Select > Feather, and enter 1 pixel in the Feather selection dialog box and click "okay". Now go to, Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation and choose Yellows from the Edit pop-up menu. Then drag the Saturation slider to the left. This clears up any yellowing in the teeth. Now switch the Edit menu back to "Master" and drag the Lightness slider to the right. That will brighten the teeth. Don't drag it too far, or the result will be unnatural. When you get the result you want, click "okay". Last, deselect the teeth by pressing Control + D.

I got this technique from the book, The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers, by Scott Kelby. It's a pretty good book!

Grant
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote