Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1

I don't know how many PC folk are out there but I have been eagerly anticipating Adobe's release of the Windows Lightroom public beta for some time now.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

The site is being hit hard right now and I can't get in just yet but I've been waiting 7 months already, what's another day or so...

I also found this on Michael H. Reichmann's site, Luminous-Landscape

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml

July 19, 2006

Sooner than some people believed, and later than other had hoped, it's happened – Adobe's Lightroom Beta 3 is now available for Windows (as well as OS X, of course).

This release for Windows is almost identical to the current Mac beta, with a few exceptions. As discussed by Jeff Schewe on PhotoshopNews.com, there is no Web module in Windows Beta 3, the Identity Plate is missing, there is no music yet for the Lightroom Slideshow, no "Lights Out" screen mode, and no drag and drop importing, except when using the Auto-Import feature.

It is said that these will all come when when Beta 4 is released, at which point both the Windows and Mac versions will have parity. In any event, the few small missing items are not critical for anyone wanting to become familiar with the new software, which is likely to become one of the most popular raw image processing programs on the market.

Lightroom Beta 3 is a free download, and will remain free until the program's commercial release some time later this year.

Mac users know that we currently have a Lightroom Tutorial DVD available, as well as my original First Look Review which is online. My Lightroom Tips page may also be of interest. There is also a dedicated Lightroom section on this site's Discussion Forum.

Jeff Schewe and I have created a new updated Beta 3 tutorial DVD for both Mac and Windows versions of Lightroom. It has just completed being edited, and will be heading soon to the duplicator. If you buy the current Lightroom Tutorial DVD you will be able to obtain the latest Beta 3 disk at a discount when it's released. Details to come.

In the meantime, download a free copy of Lightroom for Macs or for Windows. It is representative of what the next generation of image processing software is all about.

UPDATE: Ian Lyons has a brand-new Windows Beta tutorial which new user will find very useful.

mikekeyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links