Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:53 AM   #1

I lost the link and know how to do a trick on Photo shop and I need help to find it.

The tip was changing Depth of Field in using photo shop.

It had a picture of a guy in front of a building and it used I think layers and somehow locked two layers together and then blur the picture. Thenuse I think a paint brush with black paint and erase the blur and the man came into focus.

If you know where this tip is or how to do it please let me know.

I am also looking to find out how to make the background black/white and subject color.

Thanks for the help
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
I am also looking to find out how to make the background black/white and subject color.
Similar technique. Desaturate (Image-Adjust-Desaturate) and then use the History brush to recolor (undo desaturation) area of interest.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:32 AM   #3

I don't know off hand where to find this but it sounds like you could just select the subject, Invert Selection and use the blur filter.
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:58 PM   #4

Ronnie, he used a layer mask.
On the layer you wish to apply the effect, in this case blur, click on the 'Add Layer Mask' icon at the bottom of the layers palette.
It's the third from the left.

You will see an empty white thumbnail appear next to the layer thumbnail.
This will now be active, so click once on the actual layer thumbnail to re-activate it and apply your blur, or whatever.

When blurred, click once on the layer mask thumbnail, take a black paintbrush, ensuring that the foreground/background colours are the default black and white, with black set as foreground, and then paint on the parts of the image that you do not want to be affected by the blur.
Press X on the keyboard to switch to a white paint brush so you can paint back the blur if you make a mistake, remembering to press X again to switch back to black to continue.
It can help to reduce the opacity of the layer you are working on, so that you can see the layer underneath to assist with seeing where to paint.
You do always work on a duplicate layer, don't you ?

When you are sure you have finished, right click on the layer mask thumbnail and select Apply layer mask.

You can use the same technique to do a black and white with a bit of colour too.

Duplicate layer, click on add layer mask, activate the layer again, convert the layer to black and white in your preferred way, then click the layer mask and paint with black to put the colour back where you want. Switching between black and white if you make mistakes.

A much better way to do it as it allows you to correct mistakes very easily !

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:01 PM   #5

I am using Elements and I don't think it has mask. I thingk that is why he was somehow merging two layers to get a mask?

Any idea?
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:08 AM   #6

Make a duplicate layer. Blur the layer. Use the eraser tool to erase the foreground you want sharp.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:26 AM   #7

Open your image then click on 'Create Adjustment Layer' in the layers palette. That's the circle half filled with black and white. When the menu appears select Levels and then when the dialogue box opens just click OK.

Now drag your Background Layer onto the 'Create a New Layer' icon, it should be next to or near the 'Create Adjustment layer' icon.

So now you have, from the top, the Layer thumbnail linked with the layer mask thumbnail, next is the Background Copy and at the bottom is the Background. Drag the Layer thumbnail and mask to the middle. So now you have from the top Background copy, layer thumbnail & mask and at th bottom the Background.

Now press and hold the Alt key and move the cursor to the middle of the top two layers until it turns into two overlapping circles, Now click once with your mouse and the top two layers have been linked for the purposes of masking.

With the top layer selected choose the filter you wish to apply, any of them.

Eg. Blur/ Gaussian Blur and slide it right up so it is really blurry. Now click on the layer thumbnail/mask to make it active. Choose a suitable Paintbrush from the brush Tool section, make sure the foreground/background colours are the default by pressing D on the keyboard if white shows as the foreground colour then press X to change it to black.

Zoom in close and with your brush, just 'paint' over the parts of the image you don't want to have the filter effect applied to. If you make a mistake just press X to switch to white to reapply the effect, remembering to switch back to Black.

Painting with Black reveals what is underneath the filter effect and with white, puts it back.

Once you have finished with that layer you will need to flatten it to be able to use the method for another 'mask', so make sure you have finished with it.

Us lucky ones can right click on the mask and apply it, then carry on.

See how you get on and let me know if it's any good to you.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:48 PM   #8

That's it

Thanks for your help.