Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1

I have a Rebel XT and an A75 point and shoot. I usually shoot in RAW+jpg on the XT and of course the A75 is jpg only. I am looking for a way to sort the image files on my hard drive by the date and time the pictures were taken and then rename them consecutively, without losing the syncronization of the filenames between the RAW+jpg pairs.

My usual workflow is to download the images from the camera using Canon's software and name them by year, quarter, and an index i.e. 2006_Q3_xxxx.jpg/cr2. The Canon software gives the same name to the RAW and jpg image pairs from the RAW+jpg shots except that they have the appropriate extension. I like this. However, if both cameras have been used since the last download, and I then download the two cameras one after the other, the numbering of the downloaded pictures between the two cameras won't be in sequence with the times the pictures were taken. I want to sort the pictures by the date/time taken and then rename them consecutively without losing the synchronization of the filenames between the RAW+jpg pairs. I have Windows XP Home SP2, Photoshop 7, IrfanView, and the bundled Canon software including ZoomBrowser. I know that Windows Explorer can sort the image files by the date the picture was taken, but renaming them within Windows Explorer loses the synchronization between the names. Likewise with the batch rename with Irfan.

Is there a way to do what I want with the software I have or with a shareware? I believe that Breeze can do it, but I am not in a position to shell out what for me is a lot of money on software right now.
Thanks
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2

Do a search on the internet with "file rename freeware" and you can find many freeware sites listing numerous such programs: for example

http://www.nonags.com/nonags/fileren.html

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/sy...ilerename.html

I use LupusRename, but Siren and Bulk Rename Utility also get good reviews from Nonags. They pretty much do the same things - when you have all the pictures in the same folder, open that folder in the program and sort them by date and time as you would in Windows Explorer by clicking the top tab. These utlitilies have batch rename function, which will fulfill you requirement of naming the pictures according to date and time (remove original filenames and replace with eg. "2006_Q3_xxxx.jpg" - you can set how many zeros you need in front of the numbers, what number to start etc.)
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:05 PM   #3

Thanks, I will start downloading software and trying to see if it will do what I want, starting with Siren and PFrank, which look promising.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:20 AM   #4

When I look closely at irfanview I find that it can in fact do everything you need:

File --> Batch conversion/ rename --> go to the folder with all the pictures

now click the little window icon with a down arrow, fourth to the right of "Look in <folder name>" --> Details

this will give you tabs on the top where you can sort the pictures by the dates

if you are starting from the top, click and highlight the first picture file of the date you want, then <Shift> <Down arrow> to highlight multiple pictures taken on the same day

click <Add> button on the column to the left --> chosen files appear in the box

click <Sort files> button --> choose "sort by date (ascending or descending as you require)"

choose "batch rename" --> click <Set rename options> --> the options of a new filename, starting number, and number of "zero fills" are given

essentially irfanview gives identical functions as the independent file renaming softwares
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:56 AM   #5

I tried IrfanView first, but it would lose the synchronization between the filenames of the jpg/cr2 pair of images. For example, if the jpg and cr2 versions of the same shot are called img_123.jpg and img_123.cr2, IrfanView will rename them as:

2006_Q2_001.jpg and

2006_Q2_002.cr2

when what I want is:

2006_Q2_001.jpg and

2006_Q2_001.cr2

(i.e. the pair of images having the same filename except for the extension).
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:32 PM   #6

Hi Ed:

I presume the cr2 and jpg always form pairs with the same filename, correct?

In this case, you need to sort them by their file type, not by their date/ time, with the top grey tabs before you press <Add> button (see the fourth line of my irfanview post).

When you sort the files by file type, they are still listed in a descending alpha-numeric order under each file type group - which should correspond to the order you took those pictures according to the filenames created by the camera. You can look at the "Date modified" column to choose the appropriate ones to batch rename: because the camera creates the filenames according to the date and time, a batch of pictures taken at the same time should stay together after this sorting, so you don't have the hassle of jumping around to find individual pictures.

After the <Add> button, you can use the <Sort files> button --> "sort by date" to make sure these files line up in the correct order, before renaming them.

You should do this procedure for the corresponding cr2 and jpg files separately, and renaming them to the same name starting with the same number. Presuming these files always come in pairs and you haven't deleted any one of them (if you have, you should exclude its counterpart from the batch list), and that they are lined up in the same order, their final filenames should correspond with one another with the above method.

In fact, if you use any other batch renaming softwares, you have to go through the above procedures to get what you need: this is a Windows operational issue, not a software-related issue.

Hope this works!
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:22 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your responses. None of the free utilities that I tried were able to do what I needed as they were written, for a number of reasons - I am trying to syncronize file names from two different cameras; not all the files are raw/jpg pairs, some are just jpg; and I want the raw/jpg file pairs to have the same name and index number, just the extension different.

ReNamer has an option where the user can create custom rules using Pascal programming, so I think that with enough time and effort I could have programmed something to work, but I did not need to because...

I contacted the creator of PFrank and he said that the program could not do what I wanted, but he then modified the program so that it could and sent me a beta version to try. Lo and behold, I can now do just what I wanted! He said the next release of PFrank will include this feature. Many thanks to him for being so helpful. I even included a couple of avi/thm video file pairs from the point and shoot camera, and they were also renamed properly and in sequence.