Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:12 AM   #1

I want to put 4 images into a "New Image" in Photoshop CS. Each image is 3008 X 2000. I have tried to get them to fit exactly onto a new image without success. Each time I try to size the new image it is either too small or too large for these 4 photos I want to put onto this one new image. My aim then is to take this new image to a printer and get an A3 size made of it, so I dont want to resize the originals down from their original size. Can anyone help please??
joffablues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:57 AM   #2

OK, here's what you do. Open a new file, and set the dimensions @ 6016 x 4000. Next, open the 4 photos you want to merge. Use the move tool (v) to click and drag each photo (background) onto the new large file you've created. Make sure you have "snap" enabled. If you position each photo in one of the 4 corners you should have the whole page filled. Next you merge or flatten the layers. This will give you one file without any layers. Make sure to save before you flatten the image.

I hope this makes sense.

TT
TTfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:22 PM   #3

TTfoto's instructions are dead on. Unfortunately it won't print well at A3 because it isn't in the right ratio. The printer will have to trim some from each end of the long sides and that will take a lot off one edge of each of the four shots. You would do better doing your own cropping before merging the images.

With each image select your crop tool and put 420mm for the width and 297mm for the height (or the other way round according to orientation). Put NOTHING in the resolution box. You want to discard the extra pixels on the long side without a resample or losing any other pixels.

All four images should come out the same size in pixels unless you crop more than just the edges. Go Image > Image size. Make sure resample is unchecked just so you don't make a mistake – you won't be doing anything but noting your width and height in pixels but you are safer with resample unchecked. Note both the width and height in pixels and make a new file with double both the width and height. It should work out to be the right ratio for an A3. Now drag the photos into the new file as TTfoto suggested. You now have a composite you can send to the printer to get a good A3.

Get back if you find some of the images look better cropped more than the minimum required to get the right ratio. It can still be done but there are more steps.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote