Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:13 PM   #11

Because Adobe is the leader, they don't need a "features comparison chart" on their website talking about all the features they have and the others don't have.

But can I find a comparison anyway? I looked at Adobe's website, and it looked like Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements were just for creating multimedia albums.

Will Photoshop Elements un-bend the barrel distortion at wide-angles? I *_think_* ArcSoft Photo Studio (shipped w/my digicam) cannot do this. I have a link somewhere to a $45 shareware package that claims to.

Also, are Photoshop and Photoshop CS (Creative Suite) different products? I'd like to remove distortion, maybe fool around with color temperature a SMALL amount, and creating presentations would be nice.

Can you clear up my confusion about Adobe's titles? Thanks in advance!

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:06 PM   #12

Okay, I've found some more info at Adobe's site and elsewhere.

Photoshop and Photoshop CS (Creative Suite) are far above what I am willing to pay.

It looks like Photoshop Elements will let me organize my photos, as well as correct barrel distortion, edit, retouch, alter color balance (but not as precisely as full Photoshop), add borders and themes, send pictures out to print services, and make Flash presentations viewable on the web as well as from my computer.

But you need Premiere Elements to burn stuff to CD-R and DVD-R. (Premiere Elements lets you handle movies as well, which isn't too interesting to me at this time).

Making the "burning to CD/DVD" part of a separate program makes sense for business users that only give presentations in boardrooms and salesmens' laptops. But I want to hand out copies of vacations, etc. Premiere Elements has the ability to put the runtime libraries or whatever on the disc.

I'll "bite the bullet" and grab the Photoshop Elements 5 / Premiere Elements 3 bundle. It's $128 right now at Amazon, then claim a $30 rebate that ends Oct. 31, 2007. So it's about $98.

Thanks!

Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:09 PM   #13

NOTE: Both Premiere Elements 3.0 and 2.0 require SSE2 support. Millions of computers Athlon CPUs won't be able to use Elements (you must use Intel chips, Athlon 64 or Opteron CPUs).

Glad I read the fine print!

<EDIT>: Further reading says you CAN burn slide shows to disc with Photoshop Elements, but they might be poor quality (VCD=320 by 240 or something) and might be re-sampled twice before the final product gets burned to the disc. The slide show will be WMV, which likely won't work in my set-top DVD player. Also, Adobe's burner engine is licensed from Sonic Solutions, whose product doesn't support my burner. Glad I kept up on my research!

So:

1. Photoshop Elements can burn slide shows, but they might be a big disappointment.

2. Premiere Elements is needed to create DVD chapters (multiple vacations on the same disc) but it won't work on an Athlon.

3. Both of these might not burn on my burner (Sonic's engine).

</END OF EDIT>.