Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:49 PM   #1

Hello all,

This is a real basic question, actually. I have recently made the decision to go deeper into my photography and to purchase a dslr. From what I understand, DSLRs often require more post-production work than ps cameras, so I am willing to embrace this as well. At this moment, I am still in the process of getting a DSLR and am trying to decide between all the usual big names. My question is, from a software editing perspective, is some software better suited to certain camera brands. My common sense suggests that no is the answer, but I just want to make sure.

Cheers,

- Ballpointpenner
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:46 PM   #2

Ballpointpenner writes: ....From what I understand, DSLRs often require more post-production work than ps cameras....

I think that's only if you start shooting in RAW format.

BPP continues: ...My question is, from a software editing perspective, is some software better suited to certain camera brands.

There have beensome discussions over which RAW conversion software does the best job on which camera brands RAW files. I once read an article comparing Nikon Capture to Adobe's Camera Raw plug-in with regards to Nikon Raw files. Of course, I don't remember what conclusion was arrived uppon, but a diligent web search should turn up such things. But -- only if you want to get into RAW. (And you should!) Otherwise, I don't think there's any difference.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:25 PM   #3

granthagen,

I`ll look for that article. Yes, I do intend to experiment with raw... the way I see it, if I am going to edit a little bit, I might as well see how far I can go. Like I said, I want to go deeper than before and see how far I can get.

-Bpp
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote